Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Quad throttles

Old 05-21-2002 | 01:55 PM

Default Quad throttles

If you guys go to phantom, you'll se the throttle bodies I'm referring to. Has anyone here tried it? Or the six pack? If not, I will be willing too. Cheaper than the turbo and your top end is supposed to go through the roof.
Old 05-21-2002 | 03:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Looks neat eh? Well, if you search this has been covered a few times before. Personally, I've heard that, yeah, these things could kick alot of ass and give you throttle responce the likes no one has seen. Butttt.... they are VERY hard if not impossible to tune.

Don't take my word, look around a bit.
Old 05-21-2002 | 05:23 PM

Yeah, I agree with Red. I used to have a 260z with dual webbers and I had to use one of those air gauges with the floating ball to tune it. It would take me about an hour to sync them and then it would be out of sync like a week later.
Sure, it kicked butt ( my friend had triples on his and he had to take it to the shop once a month for 100+ bucks a pop) but it is not good for a daily driver.
Old 05-21-2002 | 08:08 PM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

Check it man...if it's for an injection engine like the Elantra's, it will simply replace the IM, accept the injectors and possibly also adapt the TPS. There should also be a single shaft that actuates the butterflies, all in all making for an easy install, which is run by the ECU and should require no tuning like the twin carbs or the quad Mikunis...BTW, trumpet length will affect air velocity, so choose the length wisely, or get another set for fine tuning.

If you go with this setup, I would suggest that you make a heat sheild between the throttles and the engine, to help keep air temps down.

Good luck man...this is what I saw with the Spoon and JUN setups on a couple of poser cars here...might not apply to your car.
Old 05-21-2002 | 11:31 PM

about the webers, they are old junk carbs, they still work great for the application but they r like a 50 year old design. totally different in every respect. this is a 4 throttle body fuel injection unit, not 2 2-barrel carbs.

I run a quad throttle body setup with mechanical fuel injection on my 270hp 2.5 liter VW based midget engine. these type of setups are all that is used in all out race applications. it is the most effecient design. But, don't even think about using them unless you have a radically ported head with oversized valves, large lift cams, complete race exaust, aftermarket ecu etc etc etc. the stock intake is good for most tuning applications. especially if you have it bored out. like I said these r for racing. you wouldn't idle very good, your throttle response would be amazing but your low end hp and torque would suffer without some other type of modifications like cams etc. this is a lot of work to get right. might as well just order a race motor from phantom.
Old 05-21-2002 | 11:41 PM

Dude race motors are waaaaaay expensive and have crazy inspection and rebuild schedules! eek!
Old 05-21-2002 | 11:49 PM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

It would still be sweet to run them on the street tho.
Old 05-21-2002 | 11:57 PM

other problems include fitment of air cleaners and having enough room between the engine and firewall to have long enough stacks to get the powerband down where you can use it. the stack length doesnt really change your power but where you reach you power. it moves your peak power up and down the rpm range. if you were making say 200hp @7000 rpm and you lengthened your stacks by 2 inches it would lower your peak horsepower of 200 down to say 6800 or 6900 rpm.

With a complete race setup including one of these throttle bodies I would guess you should be able to reach or exeed 200 crankshaft horespower.

oh and you wouldn't want to drive it on the street anywhere. My race motor IDLES at 2000-2100 RPM
Old 05-22-2002 | 12:04 AM

yeah I blew that motor sky high 3-4 times last year, I had a cam gear break once that bent every valve in the motor and damaged the tops of all the pistons. both the pistons and valves were 2 races old. gets frustrating. but it is fun to tear it down to nothing get the parts, machine them and put it all back together for your race the next weekend. but its all worth it. my midget weighs 820lbs with 270hp no transmission, no clutch and no starter. just push start with a truck and go.
Old 05-22-2002 | 01:19 AM

I know what it is like Revkev, I get paid pittance to work weekends and holidays sometimes on my boss's RB26DETT when an event comes round(well gotta pay the bills and eat somehow)

Why not just go stock and have an engine ready for events...in the end it will cost so much less than to simply mantain a race motor for everyday driving purposes and have the thing torn down yet again between the service cycles for an event...this totally sucks man!

If it's streetability you want man, then go with a light tune, some of the rich guys here need teardowns after just 6 months(Mazda 20B single-turbo, complete titanium internals including apex seals, custom built by PacPerformance) In the end, it does come down to what you can afford...dont mind the crazy rebuild schedules, they're the only reason I'm getting fed...but for the owner...they put up a front and act like its nothing, but I spy empty wallets after I collect the fee...so it's up to you man, can you afford having that level of tune on your daily driver?