Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Pulley Weights...

Old 05-06-2005 | 09:05 PM

Well, I'll be swapping my motor in ~1.5-2.5 weeks, so I'll have a set of pulleys then. But maybe it's too late for you guys.
Old 05-09-2005 | 02:37 AM

Alright, I'm confused...

1. Why would you need a different serpentine belt? Tiburons don't have belt tensioners? If not, that pulley install is going to be a pain...
Besides, I was on UR's web site and it doesn't say anything about needing a different serpentine belt.

2. The water pump on a Tiburon runs off the same crank pulley as the power steering and alternator? If so, are you sure you want to "underdrive" it? (Also, I don't think this is true either as UR would probably mention it as well on their site.)

Okay, now for some technical/personal experience info. You will notice some ride vibration (mostly at idle) using an underdrive crank pulley because the stock pulley on most all cars have rubber and such in them to reduce/eliminate the vibrations (that's why the pulley is heavy). The onlyy other thing I would worry about when considering an underdrive crank is whether or not the crankshaft is internally balanced and doesn't rely on certain pulleys to counter-balance it. If the Tiburon's crank isn't (pretty sure it is though, but just trying to lay out some info) internally balanced, you may start to notice some reliability issues later on down the road.
Old 05-09-2005 | 04:13 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

^^^ BETA engine have 4 individual belts:
- timing belt
- power steering belt
- alternator belt
- A/C belt

But some RD modifications have also a mufler belt.
Old 05-09-2005 | 04:47 AM

Yes, underdriving a water pump or the alternator can be bad... but generally our cars are almost always over 3 grand in rpms anyway. At higher rpms, the water pump can cavitate and actually reduce your cooling capacity. Anything over 1500 rpms and the alternator is putting out more than enough juice for a stock car, no worries there.

Yes, the Beta in the Tib uses an harmonic Balancer, it is heavy. I have been running the UP pulley for almost 30,000 miles now and I have not noticed any more vibration than stock. At idle or at redline. For a four cylinder, it is a smooth engine. Now it is a more free revving one.
Old 05-09-2005 | 09:21 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (Agarwal @ May 6 2005, 09:05 PM)
Well, I'll be swapping my motor in ~1.5-2.5 weeks, so I'll have a set of pulleys then. But maybe it's too late for you guys.

Could DEFINATELY use them. Would you be willing to send them direct to UR for us?

QUOTE (05GLI @ May 9 2005, 02:37 AM)
1. Why would you need a different serpentine belt? Tiburons don't have belt tensioners? If not, that pulley install is going to be a pain...
Besides, I was on UR's web site and it doesn't say anything about needing a different serpentine belt.

The belt issue is that some of the pulleys made for us need belts 2 inches shorter. Wes, there are adjustments for tension on the alternator and a few other spots, but not enough.

UR only makes the Crank Pulley for us, and it's the standard size, just LIGHT, so no, we don't need a new belt for THAT.

2. The water pump on a Tiburon runs off the same crank pulley as the power steering and alternator?

Yes.

If so, are you sure you want to "underdrive" it? (Also, I don't think this is true either as UR would probably mention it as well on their site.)

You don't think what is true? They'd mention what?

You will notice some ride vibration (mostly at idle) using an underdrive crank pulley because the stock pulley on most all cars have rubber and such in them to reduce/eliminate the vibrations (that's why the pulley is heavy).

No, we don't have that issue. Our cranks are balanced, several members here and at other Hyundai sites have these installed and have had no vibration issues for years.

The onlyy other thing I would worry about when considering an underdrive crank is whether or not the crankshaft is internally balanced and doesn't rely on certain pulleys to counter-balance it.

Yes, it's balanced.

QUOTE (Dmitry @ May 9 2005, 04:13 AM)
But some RD modifications have also a mufler belt.

*Sigh*

Now, I'm starting a new thread in a day or two on this subject.

Got Good news and Bad News from UR guys.

Which do you want first?
Old 05-09-2005 | 10:44 AM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

Bad news.
Old 05-09-2005 | 11:13 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

They no longer make Crank Pulleys for us.
Old 05-09-2005 | 11:16 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

good news?
Old 05-09-2005 | 11:29 AM

So, UR pulley is a direct replacement? I want one!!!

Redz, what are the good news? They will be willing to have a GB????
Old 05-09-2005 | 11:37 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

Let's have the good news!?!