Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Project Update - Tuesday night

Old 03-19-2002 | 05:10 PM
Red

Default Project Update - Tuesday night

Figured I should pop in real fast and give you guys another update.

First off, yes I do have pictures -- about 24 of them. Unfortunately they're all still at Joel's house and I'm here at home about to bomb out (ie sleep like a mofo)

The last time I told you anything:

We ripped out the engine, tranny and parts of the interior to get to the wiring harness. We had also started taking the stock wiring harness apart into it's discrete 100-some wires.

Over the last day and a half:

Well, "some" of the interior didn't cut it. We ripped out EVERYTHING -- both front seats, the rear seat, and the ENTIRE dash all the way from the firewall to the floor. There is no center section (ie over the parking brake and shifter is all the way to the floor now) and there is NO crashpad assembly at all, nor any of the underlying equipment (heater core, blower motor, evaporator thingy for A/C) The back seat came out so we could do the fuel pump and wiring.

The entire stock wiring harness came COMPLETELY out of the car, to the point where I had the entire thing on Joel's floor stripping it apart. We've isolated about five sensors that need to be kept on the stock wiring harness for now and so those particular parts of the stock wiring harness will be kept: Vehichle speed, cruise control, wiper control (yes, that's part of the stock ECU wiring harness hehe), brake level, coolant temp for gauge, oil pressure for gauge.

While the dash is completely out of the car, we ripped out the passenger side airbag and mounted the Haltech to the railing supports that once held the airbag (hehe) The Haltech harness has also been run into the car, and we've started wire-tying it down to a few of the stock mounting points for the stock harness. We also have main power, main ground and ignition power leads wired to the appropriate points on the main fuse box and ignition switch.

Still to do:

Tomorrow morning I'm going out to buy new soldering iron tips, new solder and a fresh little thingy of rosin to clean my iron with. I'm also buying a big spool of 14-gauge wire to run new thicker wiring to the fuel pump. Picking up some black wiring loom and black zip ties to make the Haltech harness come out pretty and un-messy. Then we're getting a small weatherproof electronics "box" to house the two main Haltech relays and the Haltech fuseable link in the engine bay.

The machine shop is STILL not done with my damned motor -- I'm calling them at 8:00 am tomorrow to bitch someone out hardcore. They told me Friday (ie 4 days ago) was going to be more than adequate to finish; here we are on Wednesday now with no sign of the motor done yet.

We are starting to fall behind "the schedule" because of the machine shop. We are actually to the point where we could have started working on applying the finishing touches to the engine tonight as to be ready to drop it in tomorrow morning. However, we likely will not see the engine until 5:00pm tomorrow night (at least) so we're already gonna be about 8 hours behind.

Once we get the motor, we can start working on attaching the accesories, stock original tranny, and new sensors to the new engine. That will take a full day of fooling and tooling, so once that's finished, we have about another day of wiring the Haltech up and finishing the looming before we can try the first crank start.

Hopefully we'll be ready to do the first fire of the engine late on Friday night...

Yes, I know, pictures are coming

-Red-
Old 03-19-2002 | 05:17 PM

eek!
Old 03-19-2002 | 05:44 PM

how about a drive to los angeles to break in the new engine???
Dyno day is on the 30th,...

and while your here,... how about letting me drive you car wink
Old 03-20-2002 | 01:07 AM

damn, red, what are you doing to your tibby?
and what sort of evil **** are you going to get out of it?!?!?

smile.gif sweet, can't wait to hear and see pictures smile.gif
Old 03-20-2002 | 01:41 PM

hes building the fastest tibby in the US
Old 03-20-2002 | 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

JAWS 021:
hes building the fastest tibby in the US
With the exception of the McIntyre Twin Engine twin turbocharged methanol injected tibby.

let's just call it the fastest SINGLE engine Tibby!

BTW...next time someone calls ME anal-retentive...I'm directing them to this post! *LOL*

Damn Red...why bother to leave the doors on, if you removed them it would make getting in and out of the car 100 times easier! tongue.gif

[ March 20, 2002, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 03-20-2002 | 10:44 PM

if he did that then people would know red doesn't do his own shifting, he actually has a midget on crack hidden under the dash do it for him wink
Old 03-21-2002 | 05:25 AM

Good Luck and PATIENCE
Old 03-21-2002 | 06:41 AM

Decker:
if he did that then people would know red doesn't do his own shifting, he actually has a midget on crack hidden under the dash do it for him wink
LMAO!!!!!!!!
Old 03-21-2002 | 07:35 AM

Red your insane eek! eek!

But you already knew that