Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

In the process of building a 2.0 beta I need some help

Old 03-25-2005 | 09:28 PM

Default In the process of building a 2.0 beta I need some help

so far i have purchased wisco 20 over forged turbo pistons 8.8:1 compression
sce .093" copper head gasket
air ram intake manifold
tubular stainless steel turbo exhaust man w/35mm wastgate
.60 TO4E turbo w/a 1.05 a/r housing capable of 650hp
255lph walbro fuel pump

That being said, I know where i'm going as far as mechanical parts, but im completely lost right now when it comes to upgrading my ecu, maf's, exc. Need a little help here send me some solutions, ideas.
Old 03-25-2005 | 09:39 PM

With that serious of a turbo and a bored engine, id go with Haltec.. A full standalone fuel system.. You CANT reprogram our ECU's and with the power you are talking, SAFC wont cut it.. Haltec = EXPENSIVE but the only way to go for serious power..

Make sure to get that LSD too smile.gif
Old 03-25-2005 | 10:53 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Basically, your out of daily driver area it seems, so this is a track car right? T04E's aren't very streetable, especially on an I4 with 8.8 compression (I would've probably gotten at least below 8.5:1 on the compression, but I dunno what power your going for) and not very torquey on the low-end.

Haltec is where you have to go, since your going to fry the MAF with that much power (T04E = 350+ whp... if your going for below that get a larger T3) and the stock ECU even with a great piggyback is never going to be able to handle that. So you need a new computer. Once again meaning no daily driver since no OBD-II.

I think Haltec is one of the only standalones made for our cars, and is the most widely used. I would go for that.
--------
Make sure you do work on the tranny as well... the Tib tranny is a pansy when it comes to putting power through it. The differential is going to die, so are the axles (especially on slicks), and 5th gear will probably break on you (350+ whp means your going to have to hit 5th at the strip, which once again goes back to the turbo you chose).

Thats just a guesstimate since I don't know what power you want to put out.
Old 03-26-2005 | 09:04 AM

Haltech eh??? sounds great about the expensive part, well thats what tax returns are for. Anyways what all can be done with the tranny??? Are you suggesting i just buy a completely different one, which is fine as i dont even have a transmission yet so throw me more info you guys are great.
Old 03-26-2005 | 09:43 AM

What HP numbers are you going for? Anything above 450whp I would start loooking and redoing the entire thing. FWD isn't going to be working very well at that power level either, unless this is a track car. Those are my two Q's.

- What horsepower numbers are you going for?
- Are you going to be driving it often or is it for the track?
Old 03-26-2005 | 09:52 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

You don't NEED the Haltec, remember, with the Haltec, you will NOT pass emissions in most states.

THe SMT6 and the EManage are good to large #'s of HP.

If you want some big power, you'll need new injectors, a LSD to keep you from just wiping out every time you hit the gas, maybe a new FGR, and new axles.
Old 03-26-2005 | 10:19 AM

This car will not be a daily driver, i work at summit racing and would take it to there track days and shows. As far as emissions, im not even worried about that they do not have e check where i live. As far as hp i dont really have a certain # in mind, i would like 11's in the 1/4 so whatever that maybe thats what i want
Old 03-26-2005 | 10:30 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

The thing is you should worry about it my man. Within the next 3 to 5 years, ODBII emissions checks will be STANDARD thru the entire US.

Hell, we have like 2 members in NY that used to say the same thing, now ODBII is a standard up there for emissions and they are screwed.
Old 03-26-2005 | 10:39 AM

Vehicle: 2001 tiburon/2000 tiburon

jlirgg9 what summit you work at... the one in Ohio?
Old 03-26-2005 | 10:54 AM

If its not daily driven he won't need to pass emissions Redz... and a standalone is absolutely necessary when dealing with 500+ whp... which is what you will need to get into the 11s with FWD.

For getting into the 11s, the tranny is dead. Basically your going to have to get everything custom-made for it. New gears, new synchros, your going to have to get it cooled in some way, and an LSD of some sort.

For getting into the 11s, you might as well toss those Wiseco 8.8s in the garbage. Your going to need around 7.2:1 compression at least. Your going to need new internals (basically everything), the crank may need to be redone, etc.

Your going to need major suspension work. I've seen way too many Civics go sideways and run into track walls because the power they put out was too much for the suspension.

Tons more stuff dealing with fuel/spark but my hands hurt. I might personally set my goal a little bit higher, if you go for 13s you can keep the Wisecos.