Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Problems With Clutch Start

Old 11-04-2005, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

this is a intermittant problem. happens occassionally but when it does it's very annoying. here we go:

push in clutch and nothing. let it go, push again and still won't start. when it happens, it generally takes more than 5 times to get it to finally work....

what should i look at in order to make this NOT do it? at the clutch pedal or under the hood near the clutch itself?
Old 11-04-2005, 03:38 PM

Sounds like the ignition lock switch
93840-37000, it's like $25 from the dealer
Located behind your cluch pedal, you'll see it if you climb under there.

Easy replacement
Old 11-04-2005, 04:07 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

now i don't know if your model (schematics & wiring) are going to be the same as mine, but if it is than this might help.

A multimeter is need for checking different areas. there are a few components in the circuit that would have an affect on your ability to start the car. the ignition switch, starter relay, & clutch pedal position switch. make sure the problem is happening when you check it. i would say the easiest place to start would be the clutch position switch.. there is a Brown/Black (tracer) wire which transfers the voltage to ground to power the relay & start the car. pull off the connector @ the clutch position switch find that wire & make sure there is 12Vs +/- (battery voltage) when you turn the key to the start position. you can hold the ignition switch @ the start position & check ... if not then we'll work our way up the schematic. if you do see battery voltage then make sure (connect the connector back to the switch) that when you press the switch in & also have the key in the start position you should see zero volts +/- on @ the black wire.( you may need help with that part & will probably have to take the switch out) CAUTION/WARNING: MAKE SURE THE TRANS IS OUT OF GEAR & THE E-BRAKE IS UP CAUSE IF THE CIRCUIT IS OKAY @ THAT TIME THE CAR SHOULD/WILL START. again if the results are different we'll work @ it more. make sure that the position switch is not broke or bent (etc)
Old 11-04-2005, 06:34 PM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

guys just wire them together, i did with mine you really dont need that crap IMO.

cut the wire off the switch and wire together
Old 11-04-2005, 07:25 PM

do you have any racing pedals on your pedals? cause i had the same problem when i had racing pedals put on. I thought it was a big problem but i found out that the pedals when installed has some screws in the back and when i was pressing the clutch to start it wasnt going all the way down cause of the screws behind it. It's not noticable when pressing cause i was pretty sure it was all the way down but when i slammed on the clutch it worked.. i then took them off and never had a problem again..

now if you do not have pedals please disregard everything i just wrote for i have just wasted 2 mins of your life.. nana.gif
Old 11-05-2005, 06:28 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

hehehe... i guess that would be a way to go about it.. to wire them 2gether.. hehehe

^^^^ that brings an idea to my head.. why don't you look at the operation of the clutch pedal closely and make sure all is well.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:23 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

i'm not too good w/ wiring and slicing and crap of that sort...

but i'll check the ignition lock switch. and i do have racing pedals in there... i'll take a look at that too. thanks