Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Pothole Kills Transmission

Old 02-17-2010 | 11:25 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Is there any way you can get a picture of the location of the pothole as well? Anything of said nature that will help drive the point home?
Like majik was saying try to get the dot to foot the bill at the very least for parts. If you can prove your case in a reasonable fashion there hopefully won't be too much trouble. However avoid involving the insurance company. This kind of damage may not go over well at all. Considering they will value a new transmission at $2000+, I am not sure what the Kelley of our cars is value is but they will likely try to pull some BS on you. Especially if mounts are weak or other resulting damage can be considered.
Old 02-17-2010 | 12:49 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

insurance deductible: $500-1,000?
new tranny: $500-1,000 DIY

insurance = not worth it IMO
Old 02-17-2010 | 08:30 PM

i only have liability right now. so insurance wont do shit for me.

yeah i'm going to try and find the one that did it, it was on I 35. or atleast i'll find a big one, there's alot. so i'll pick one in the general area
Old 03-02-2010 | 01:29 AM

got my new tranny in!!! looks great, lined up no problem laugh.gif

only thing is:

i f***ed up taking the old one off, forgot to take off the clutch lever and pulled the pressure plate center off along with the throwout bearing......

i know i'm stupid and all that stuff. i don't need people telling me i made a mistake so please dont? i don't have an excuse for it other than my own carelessness.

now what i need to know:

since i'm here, should i toss in a new oem pressure plate, or buy a better (stage 3 or something clutchmasters) ?????

also. is there a special trick to getting the shift linkage retaining clips back on? i can't seem to get the damn things on for the life of me.
Old 03-02-2010 | 06:33 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

At this point why not just wait it out a little and throw in the fidanza and a better clutch, I just put a clutchmasters in with my fidanza and love that setup
Old 03-02-2010 | 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Go with what you need (stock/low power) unless you are going to be getting a fat dose of higher power VERY soon. Long-term plans have a tendency to get to be longer and longer-term plans if you know what I mean.
Old 03-02-2010 | 10:50 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

If you already have the option to put in an upgrade why wouldn't you take advantage of it? If you have to wait for the cash to upgrade, that's a different story. Then I would recommend the quicker solution to keep from stalling progress.

I wouldn't, however, keep the clutch. If you're going to replace the pressure plate might as well replace the clutch.
Old 03-02-2010 | 11:15 PM

this transmission is already starting to cost me a lot.....

if i replace it with a performance clutch/ flywheel, i will keep the car and continue with my plans for boosting.

if i buy a OEM clutch, i'll sell it and buy a 240 w/ sr20
Old 03-03-2010 | 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

A solid 4 puck clutch is an upgrade in holding power especially with a stronger pressure plate. Unless you are running 300+HP it would suck to drive on, but it would be an upgrade.