Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Plowed through a snow drift... Now have a CEL?

Old 01-23-2005, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plowed through a snow drift... Now have a CEL?

During whiteout conditions, I got hung up in a drift that came up to the door panel. It took me a while to get my car un-stuck, and it was shut down for the entire time. The snow was packed up underneath pretty well. I was crawling under the car to scrape it out with my bare hands.

Anyway, after I got free, I headed for home from my workplace. It's blowing pretty damn hard here (80km/h). After about 5 minutes driving, I noticed the check engine light had come on. I got home and let the car idle for a about 30 minutes, but the CEL is still there. The exhaust is unclogged (as far as I know) and everything seems normal when I lift the hood.

Again, the snow was piled up underneath pretty tight, but the car worked great on the way home. cool.gif What could be causing my CEL? How much would it cost for me to get it checked out (Canada)?

2000 Tiburon SE 5spd

Thanks guys/girls.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:26 PM

could have just gotten your o2 sensor unplugged, that would throw a code
Old 01-23-2005, 08:31 PM

I should also mention that I just noticed a slight "ticking" sound. I just got the car 3 days ago, and I haven't driven enough to remember if that's normal or not.

Where is the o2 sensor located? You think it could have been pulled loose?
Old 01-23-2005, 08:34 PM

My CEL came on the other night in the severe cold...Im guessing its one of the sensors. We just had the exhaust redone so that might play a factor. But I have a feeling that our sensors are sensitive to extreme cold.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:36 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

The ticking could just be lifter noise. Doubt it's what threw the cel. It's The O2 censor is by your cat below your exhaust manifold.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:44 PM

reset the ecu and see if it comes back.

if it dose, most auto parts stores these days have free code scanning
Old 01-23-2005, 09:03 PM

yea. if the car is running good and you are still getting that CEL.. the snow probably unplugged either an O2 sensor or the fuel evap canistor in the back (unless you got an early tib, then it is in the front)
Old 01-23-2005, 10:02 PM

These all sound like smart replies. Is the o2 connected with a wiring harness? Is it as simple as plugging it back in or what?

Thanks guys!
Old 01-23-2005, 10:19 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yeah, if its off it'll be dangling. Its over by your second cat. Well, it'll be there as long as you didn't rip it off. LOL.

Do you mean ticking noise after you turn the car off or while its running? The exhaust could be ticking from contracting after you turn the car off. Happens on the stock exhaust, doesn't seem to on aftermarket. Materials/piping size I guess.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:30 PM

if the ticking noise is while the car is running and is under the car.. you might have also damaged the flex pipe.. if that is the case your CEL is because the second o2 sensor is not getting enough exhaust flow