Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Phenolic Spacer And Throttle Body Spacer..needhelp

Old 05-13-2005 | 08:38 PM

Vehicle: 2001 tiburon/2000 tiburon

I am in process of setting up a group buy on this setup.. I need to see if there is interest which will follow after I get some information... I mean if people need information then ill provide...I am looking to see what cars these will fit..thanks Chris http://www.outlawengineering.com/
Old 05-13-2005 | 09:25 PM

Are you talking about a spacer for the IM and TB that will still fit on the existing studs or will they need to be replaced?
Old 05-13-2005 | 09:39 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I would be up for a TB spacer. I already have an IM spacer.
Old 05-13-2005 | 10:40 PM

I'll probably buy a TB spacer too. What are the prices?
Old 05-14-2005 | 01:21 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

what gains will those spacers give?
Old 05-14-2005 | 07:08 AM

I mean to ask this everytime i see a post on spacers.. wth are these for?
Old 05-14-2005 | 07:44 AM

The spacers are made so that as the engine heats up the head does not transfer heat into the IM. This will keep intake temps down. Same thing with the TB.
Old 05-14-2005 | 08:22 AM

Yep, you won't see too much horsepower gained from this but every little bit helps smile.gif
Old 05-14-2005 | 09:41 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

maybe puting a PC cooler, that will blow air on IM will help?
Old 05-14-2005 | 09:51 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Another BIG thing with these guys, you don't LOSE as much power when your engine gets hot. Ever notice how your car dogs out a bit when you've been driving it hard? That won't happen as much.

Gains?

Hondata.com claims...

Details

Hondata have developed a special high temperature insulating gasket which replaces the stock intake gasket. This and bypassing several heat sources significantly reduces the transfer of heat from the head to the intake and incoming air giving you up to 5% more power.

Turbocharged cars often use an aluminum intercooler to cool the air compressed by the turbo. The intake manifold is also made of aluminum but because it is heated by the head from combustion and coolant, works in reverse to an intercooler by heating the intake air by as much as 50° C.

Fact: For every 3.3 °C (5° F) rise in intake temperature, air density drops 1%. The hotter the air, the less fuel the computer injects to compensate for reduced oxygen. HondaLogger datalogging software has enabled us to measure intake air temperature under varied driving conditions.

Around town, testing has shown an average drop of around 10 degrees C which is good for around 3 percent power increase. Remember though that 3 percent power increase is difficult to feel. You'd feel a greater change in performance getting rid of that passenger. In certain conditions a 30° C drop has been measured.

The graph above shows the results of installing the Heatshield gasket and bypassing the throttle body heating and idle control valve heating. If you examine a Type R intake manifold you will find that most sources of water heating are removed. Further temperature drops are possible when in addition the interior heating hose is blocked. What the graph shows, is that as you open the throttle, the intake temperature drops slowly as it cools the intake. When you descend a hill with the throttle closed or drive around town on a light throttle the temperature climbs quickly. It takes a good 15-20 seconds for the temperature to drop again when you open the throttle. So if you start your 1/4 mile drag with a hot intake manifold - you are only starting to develop maximum power near the end of the run when the intake has been cooled. The Heatshield gasket kit gives you 4-5% more power immediately by lowering the intake temperature.

http://www.hondata.com/heatshield.html

They run about $60 plus s/h thru them, but there is no TB spacer.

As for fitting?

They'll fit any car with a Beta 1 or 2 engine (IM Spacer), and the TB spacer would only be a bit different for the Beta 2 than the 1.

So, you'd need 1 IM spacer and 2 TB spacers to cover MOST of the cars.

They'd fit the following.

1996-2004 Elantra
1997-2005 Tiburon

And whatever other beta powered Hyundai's and Kia's are out there.