Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Performance Question

Old 08-16-2005 | 12:34 AM

Hi guys! Got a 2000 Tibby, 5spd, 2.0L with only 2 mods, CAI and a performance module. When Im at an idle like at a red light, then give it some gas (with or without the ac on) I sometimes get a "delayed reaction" in the time from when I punch it to the time when the car decides to go. Any way I can get rid of this? Im a newbie to the performance/racing thing so take it easy on me if you can. Ive had this problem since I bought the car, as Im sure all cars do. Thought maybe by adding some small inexpensive mods, that it would get a little better, but it didnt. Any advice would be awesome. Ive seen alot of it in the forums Ive read here so I hope you all can help me too. Thanks a million!

DaytonaTibby
Old 08-16-2005 | 12:43 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

First of all, those performance modules are nothing but a scam which will harm your engine. Get rid of it. I will not go into details about this, if you want to learn exactly all about what these do and why I'm telling you this, use the SEARCH button on this site and search some threads containing performance chips.

Next, welcome to the site (I must have missed your intro), glad you chose a tib and you'll find lots of friendly people on this site who will answer ANY questions, but please SEARCH first and read the rules fing02.gif

Finally, the answer to your question I am 95% sure it is a spark plug misfiring. I would replace them asap, or if you have the cash, buy a set of NGK Iridium IX spark plugs (you need 4 plugs BTW), and also get a set of NGK High-Performance Spark Plug Wires. This will probably cure your problem forever if you go with the NGKs. try www.clubplug.net, or search eBay.
Old 08-16-2005 | 12:53 AM

Thanks! That sucks about the module. Oh well, I just bought it so maybe I can get my $ back. Glad I found this site when I did. I'll check into to those plugs and wires. I appreciate the quick responce and info!
Old 08-16-2005 | 06:59 AM

QUOTE (DaytonaTibby @ Aug 16 2005, 12:53 AM)
I appreciate the quick responce and info!

Get used to that lol
Old 08-16-2005 | 10:45 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (DaytonaTibby @ Aug 16 2005, 12:34 AM)
CAI and a performance module.

As said, get rid of that "Performance Module" ASAP, it's runing your Air to Fuel ratio. Hyundai's run rich from the factory.

As for the CAI, no offense, but if you got duped into buying a "Performance Module", it makes me wonder what CAI you've got. Please, post a picture of your engine bay ASAP. A link to the CAI you got would definately help

When Im at an idle like at a red light, then give it some gas (with or without the ac on) I sometimes get a "delayed reaction" in the time from when I punch it to the time when the car decides to go.

To me, sounds like you may have some bad wires possibly as stated above, but more likely it is your CAI or install of it. Most of the cheap CAI's don't have detailled instructions or aren't even specific for our cars. If your IAT (Intake Air Temp) sensor isn't installed in the CAI, you aren't getting good readings, hence the bogging of the engine. If your MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor) isn't installed correctly, it will lead to bad engine conditions and poor drivability.

Ive had this problem since I bought the car, as Im sure all cars do.

This could mean that there is nothing wrong with the above stuff I mentioned, but maybe you are shifting too soon. What RPM range do you shift at? How many miles were on the car when you bought it? What maintenance have you done to it?

Glad you enjoy the forums.

Remember, you don't need to put your name at the end of your posts, your name is shown to the left of every post you make.
Old 08-16-2005 | 07:36 PM

I removed the performance module and will be getting my $$ back on that. Thanks a bunch for the heads up. I shift around 3500-4500. But the delayed reaction is when I hit the gas not when I shift, if it makes any difference. I bought the car with 75000 miles on it. So far I have had a high mileage synthetic oil put in with a new filter. The guy I bought it from supposedly replaced the plugs and wires before he sold me the car. Im planning on a transmission drain and fill and a radiator flush soon. I put the CAI on around 79500 miles and am now at 80000. The only plug I pulled off the stock air box got plugged back into the intake, which Im guessing is the IAT. Plus I made sure the small plastic piece of tube with the probe in it was put back in its spot, which Im guessing is the MAF. I have some pics in my Garage now. http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?&act=ga...CODE=12&CID=249

Im working on figuring out how to post pics here. Once I figure it out I'll post some of the engine bay with the CAI.
I plan to order the NGK Iridium IX spark plugs and wires from clubplug.net to hopefully fix this problem. Thanks a bunch guys.
Old 08-16-2005 | 07:47 PM

When the guy changed the spark plugs/wires, was it with new ones? lmao.gif jk

Did you check the service records? Maybe you need a tune up.
Old 08-16-2005 | 08:20 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

dont buy the iridum plugs its a waste of money

get some ngk vpowers for like $2 each and just replace them every so often
Old 08-16-2005 | 08:24 PM

Unfortunately there is no record. He did all the maintanence himself and never recorded it. So I have no idea if he was truthful or not. Guess its time to look for myself. I guess I'll start with the plugs and wires and go from there. Hopefully that will take care of it, but with my luck!
Old 08-16-2005 | 09:08 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (DaytonaTibby @ Aug 16 2005, 07:36 PM)
I removed the performance module and will be getting my $$ back on that. Thanks a bunch for the heads up.

Good, no problem mang, that's what we are here for. I looked at your pics, and your MAF is correctly installed. I still don't see your IAT sensor.

The only plug I pulled off the stock air box got plugged back into the intake, which Im guessing is the IAT. Plus I made sure the small plastic piece of tube with the probe in it was put back in its spot, which Im guessing is the MAF.

Correct and correct. I can't, however, see the IAT in your pictures. Can you get one of that? You installed it with a grommet right?

But the delayed reaction is when I hit the gas not when I shift, if it makes any difference.

Ahh, okay. Well, first thing I'd do is check the plugs, see if the guy did replace them. Then I'd get a multimeter and see if the wires are any good. Even better, just get new plugs and wires and remove ALL doubt for little money.

Im planning on a transmission drain and fill and a radiator flush soon. I put the CAI on around 79500 miles and am now at 80000.

I'd check and see what kind of condition your timing belt is in. Also, and I'll lean this way too, I'd about guarantee if the plugs are crap, that he never replaced the Fuel Filter either.

Go get a can of B12 Chemtool and run it thru your fuel before your next fillup. Just follow the directions. RUN IT HARDER when you use that stuff to clean your injectors. If it peps up some, you know it's prolly a fueling issue. I'd get your fuel filter replaced asap.

I plan to order the NGK Iridium IX spark plugs and wires from clubplug.net to hopefully fix this problem. Thanks a bunch guys.

Get the plugs that Faithofadragon recommended below my mang, I've got them, fantastic plugs. Also, get the PRD plug wires, do a search here for them, they are REALLY good wires.

QUOTE (jToIeB @ Aug 16 2005, 07:47 PM)
Did you check the service records? Maybe you need a tune up.

More likely he needs a bit of an overhaul, the old owner probably dogged that poor tib.