Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

perforated core INTAKE resonator

Old 06-07-2002, 02:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is thermal wrap made out of. I'm just wondering if I made my resonator down at the bottom of the intake and some bits of it made it into my engine, would that be bad?
Old 06-07-2002, 02:34 AM

im not sure what the thermal wrap is made out of, but it will also keep the air going through the intake kool.

BTW,... you do not want bits going into your engine

What bits are you talking about?
Old 06-07-2002, 03:54 AM

It's hypothetical, but my resonator design could allow my some of my sound deadner to enter the intake tube and get inhaled by the engine.

Basically, I'm trying to incorporate the design of a glasspack/resonator into the filter end of the CAI - right before the pipe/filter go into the fender well. You know how a glasspack looks when you stare down the middle: The inner tube has a bunch of small holes that lead into the space created by the outer tube. I know with mufflers, there's acoustic absorbing material in the space. Dynomax uses "continous roving fiberglass" and magnaflow uses a steel mesh with foam.
I was thinking about using some loosely packed exhaust wrap and or some fiberglass matting. However, little bits of this stuff could concieveably get through one of my small holes and get sucked into the engine.
Old 06-07-2002, 03:56 AM

thats bad
Old 06-07-2002, 04:12 AM

However, I'm thinking that if I use small (1/8in) holes, the odds of any of this stuff getting through is really slim. I could also line the outside of the inner tube with screen or something.
Old 06-07-2002, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Try wraping the exterior of the intake first before you go installing some form of "glasspack" on your intake.

If you have a "fenderwell" style CAI, try packing the area around the air filter with a cotton based material, but pack it on the OUTSIDE of the filter. Cotton will burn if inhaled into the engine, fiberglass will not.

You can also try "rubber coating" the intake. They make rubber and plasticote "dips" for tools. They are basically a rubberized/plasticized coating that you can apply to any metal surface. You should be able to use that to "paint' the outside of your CAI to absorb vibration, and deaden the sound.

Also...try different air filters, or installing a 90 degreee elbow on the end of the fenderwell cai and install the filter pointing "up".

Basically, I would experiement all kinds of different ways before I tried any solution that involved some form of fiberglass or steel wool getting inside the engine.
Old 06-07-2002, 04:23 AM

Random:

You can also try "rubber coating" the intake. They make rubber and plasticote "dips" for tools. They are basically a rubberized/plasticized coating that you can apply to any metal surface. You should be able to use that to "paint' the outside of your CAI to absorb vibration, and deaden the sound.
I already dynamated the intake and rubberized the inside and outside.

BTW I just happen to have some of my stock intake in my hands right now and interestingly, Hyundai used 2.75 inch piping.

I'm working on my future intake for the dual throttle bodies. Basically, I'm going to need a 180 degree turn from the second TB and I'm going to join the two 2.5in hoses off the TB's into one 3in that goes to the fenderwell. And since I'm in Oregon, I'll have and AEM bypass valve too.

I haven't decided on BV1's E-ram yet. 6% gain for 300 isn't bad, we'll see. It's still being designed. I love R & D