Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

perforated core INTAKE resonator

Old 06-06-2002, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default perforated core INTAKE resonator

Has anyone thought about or tired making a resonator for the intake. I realized that more noise actually comes out of my CAI then exhaust so I was thinking about taking the 3in pipe, drilling a bunch of holes in a 8-12in section and putting a piece of 4 inch piping around it with some fiberglass or header wrap in the interior space.

Any comments or suggestions?
Old 06-06-2002, 08:04 AM

ummmm
engine noise rules man

Why would you want to quiet down your intake???

If you really want to quiet down your car,... get a glasspack

I have one for sale,... if your interested private message me

Its a 2.25 perforated core
Old 06-06-2002, 08:36 AM

I don't necessarily dislike engine noise, but ultimately I like my car to run quietly - with a lil growl.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:40 AM

a glasspack will lower the noise output of your exhaust and make it a bit deeper

At idle,... an intake wont make much of a difference

If you really want to decrease sound level,... start with the exhaust
Old 06-06-2002, 09:27 AM

but if u get a glassback will it kill the exhaust sound completely because i would still like to hear some noice from the exhaust almost at any speeds.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:15 AM

You could try enclosing the CAI.. with a frest air source. That would make it quieter without giving up power.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:24 AM

origi
Old 06-06-2002, 01:30 PM

i just put a custom cai on my spectra I LOVE THE NOISE...the more the better
Old 06-06-2002, 01:37 PM

Well, that explains some of it... the fenderwell probably acts like a great resonator. But it does have good access to cool air.

Some intake systems have enclosures built around the filter to help funnel air in and to reduce the noise. see enclosure

Building an enclosure will take a little work. If you have some fiberglassing experience you could probably build one.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

A large part of intake noise is really intake tube vibration.(due to engine vibration and air pulses inducing vibration in the materal)

In my testing, the "noisest" intake tube was thin walled aluminum tubing. It had a VERY loud "snarl" to it, nearly a "buzz"

The quietest intake I tested is the flexable exhaust tubing. The corregations in the flexable exhaust tubing deter vibration.

To quiet your intake down, heat wrap it with the thermal wrap. This dampens the vibration of the metal and seriously quiets it down.

With the CAI in the fenderwell, the sound is indeed "amplified" by the large fenderwell air cavity. The aluminum tube intake actually induced vibration in the sheet metal of the fender, causing IT to vibrate/produce noise.

Also, your choice in air filters affects noise. 100% rubber filters like some K&N filters are not as noisey as some cheaper all metal air filters. (the materals around the filter medium, not the filter medium itself).

The enclosure that Cheuk reccomend would also help, as long as you could mount it in such a way it was isolated from the CAI's vibration.