Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Pacesetter Performance Cat-Back

Old 12-04-2001, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pacesetter Performance Cat-Back

Will the Pacesetter Cat-Back for the 97-99 Tiburon fit the 2001?

Old 12-04-2001, 06:12 AM

Please do not even think of the Pacesetter, several others have had this system and regret it, it will last longer than the stock system but it uses a 3 flange connector, you'll have to cut it off nd weld another to fit the stock 2 bolt one. Also the fit isn't that great, you'll have to play with hangars to get it to fit right, and that was on the 98-99 models.
Old 12-04-2001, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

There is someone out there who has a pacesetter who had no complaints and loved it.

Someone else had fitment problems and worked with pacesetter to get the problems fixed.

I have YET to hear of anyone who had the Pacesetter remove it or complaint about them not working/helping them to make them happy. The only people I know who rip on the system...don't have it! (no offense Brendan, but no one has yet complained that much about them).
Old 12-04-2001, 03:04 PM

Random that was me. Sorry Brendan but the system is great. It sounds good, looks good and was a peice off cake to install. I didn't have to do any modifications except one they put an opening in the pipe right behind the cat for an o2 sensor so I had to spend $3 and put a dumbie sensor in to fill the hole but other than that no problems not a one and the hangers fit fine you don't have to screw around with them any more than if you were going to put the stock one on I tried them both and no difference. I think it was well worth it and would recommend it to anyone. Also I have had it on for two years and still no problems.
Old 12-05-2001, 01:44 AM

I have the pacesetter too. It's great. For the money you can't beat it, and even if it only lasts 3 years, you can buy 4 for the price of a stainless system (that's 12 years minimum). It's fairly quiet (compared to fart pipes on Hondas), and it noticably moved my peak torque down (and maybe up, but I can't confirm that).

My only complaint was that it took me a while to find an alignment that didn't rattle or rub. But that's fixed now. Also, my rich-running car has blackened that yellow ring in the tip beyond repair; but other than that, the tip looks good, not too loud, and a great value.

Mine bolted up fine with zero problems. That is, 1997, 1.8L (non-FX).

ac
Old 12-05-2001, 02:23 AM

I called pacesetter on a 1800# and asked them if that system would fit a 2000+ Tibby and they stated it would not! They believed it would at first but found problems on the new Tibs. The worker told me that the exhaust system would work with the 97-99 1.8 liter Tibs.
Old 12-05-2001, 02:33 AM

Brendan, the only year, to my knowledge, with a 2 bolt flange was 98.

I got the PS cat-back in yesterday and it looks very nice. I know 4-5 people that have this system and not one complaint out of any of them. The only people I've heard complain about this system don't have it.

After I get it installed I'll take pics of the fitment just to prove it.
Old 12-05-2001, 11:24 AM

OK, first of all I would like to apoligize to Brendon, I just crawled under my car and low and behold there is a 2 bolt flange on my 99' Tib! WTF! the PS comes with a 3 bolt and I know I saw a debate on here that concluded 96,97,&99 all have 3 bolt and 98 has 2 bolt. Whats the deal! Jaws99 do you have a 3 or 2 bolt flange on your Tib? Random, do you know whats up?
Old 12-05-2001, 02:07 PM

I have a three bolt flange I do have the FX and for some reason my car came with Cali emmissions on it so I don't know if that is why it has a three bolt flange or not.
Old 12-06-2001, 01:32 AM

I don't have the FX, but I do have the Cali emissions. From what I could see there is a 2 bolt flange, I guess I'll have to swollow my pride and go back to PS, to ask for the right piece. After I went on and on to them so they would send a 3 bolt flange.

I'm such an A$$. sad.gif