Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Overdrive And Underdrive Pulleys On Ebay(haha)

Old 12-04-2006, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so the crank pulley is the only one i should look at getting.. but does that fit an rd1? or no i took off my power steering about 2 years ago ahah so i dont think i need the pulley
Old 12-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Banned

i would only spend the $$ on doing the crank pulley. would give be the best bang for your buck. crank pulley may be one of the next things on my list, but im not sure, cuz it being heavier kinda helps with the spooling a lil. same idea goes with some people turboing and keeping the stock flywheel, it kinda gives it a lil extra for the turbo to spool
Old 12-04-2006, 12:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

No, you should do them all if you can afford it. The weight loss on moving parts is pretty big there.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

haha of them all the power steering was biggest pain in the ass... Spent much too much time filing. Crank came off and went right on, water pump was a b**** until i utilized masking tape =P but the power steering... yeah lets just say i had to get a new pump. Hammering that shaft didnt work too well mad.gif
Old 12-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Banned

QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Dec 4 2006, 02:01 PM)
No, you should do them all if you can afford it. The weight loss on moving parts is pretty big there.

yeah i understand that, but what im debating is the effect of having lightweight flywheel and crank pulley, and the effect itll have on spooling.. if i can figure it to not be much, i will at least do the crank pulley, since it has the biggest drop in weight.. the other pulleys, i dont know about, cuz they seem like more PITA than worth it..

we will see, if i ever have money again, i will continue modding.. first thing imma buy is a spare beta, which i will build up a bit, and then throw that into the car smile.gif
Old 12-04-2006, 04:30 PM

The crank was more of a PITA than the others for me.

Actually, the waterpump one CAN be a PITA if you don't know how to do it.

I actually didn't find it too hard, if you check the stuff I put up, the pics and vid, it was okay.

You just undo the passenger side motor mount, the 2 transmission mount nuts on the bottom, and use a jack on the tranny to push up the motor. YOu can get the waterpump pulley angled up that way so you can pretty easily get to the bolts on it.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:02 PM

I got them all on my car, and to be honest with the belts properly tightened down the Engine noise was significantly quieter. As far as performance I'm sure you will only notice on a DYNO. But I didn't install myself due to lack of time. The shop i took it too, installed all three pulleys and belts, installed new timing belt, new water pump and autotranny fluid flush add new fluid for $650 including labor!

The weight difference is quite significent. The biggest notice in weight difference is between the OEM and OBX Crank pulley. I believe someone did the weithing in another thread. I would say do all three since if you buy the kit you get all three. But if you decide to be lazy and only the power steering and the crank its cool with me.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:05 PM

I noticed a definate improvement in throttle response, and she was much more fun to rev after.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:25 PM

Thats true REDZ reving after the crank pulley is installed is much fun!!
Old 12-04-2006, 08:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I thought about undoing the mounts, but it was much easier not doing it. I just used masking tape to hold the nut in place, a few minutes of fondling and it was on. I kept droping it so masking tape was the first thing that poped into my head lol, now i use it for everything when workin on the tib haha