Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

An Opportunity May Have Presented Itself...

Old 10-26-2007, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, as most of you know, I work for a Hyundai dealership in the Parts Department. This allows me to sometimes have access to good deals on parts (and no, I don't mean the 5 finger discount type of deal... lol).

Any time we replace a part under warranty, we are required to keep the old part here in the warehouse for three months in case Hyundai wants us to return in to them for inspection. (They like to make sure that we are replacing parts that actually need to be replaced.) After that they usually tell us we can scrap the part and we are SUPPOSED to dispose of it (as in, NOT reuse it). Well, a month or two ago, we had a 2007 Tucson come into the shop that a customer had just bought the day before, and it had rod knock. It only had 107 miles on it. Upon further inspection, the tech discovers that one of the main caps wasn't tightened to spec. They pulled the motor and put a new short block in it, and sent the happy customer on their merry way.

So... now we have a 2.0L short block in the warehouse with very low miles on it, that basically just needs a set of bearings. The crank is not damaged. I suspect that warranty will not want us to return it to them or else they would have asked for it by now.

This is what I'm considering: Once warranty decides to scrap the block, I'm considering using it as a starting point for an engine build. My current engine has about 65k miles on it, and I don't feel comfortable doing anything major to it with that many miles. I'm not sure how far I want to go with it, but I love having a project on my hands. The only problem is that it's a block for a 2007 with a CVVT head, and of course my car is non-CVVT. I compared the head gaskets for the two, and there are a few differences, mainly in the water passages I think, which means I won't be able to use my current head with this new block, which is what I was hoping for. So in addition, I'd have to get a CVVT head, as well as an engine wiring harness and ECU from an Elantra with a CVVT motor. I'm not even sure if my 5 speed will bolt up to this new 2007 2.0L block. And that's just the stuff I can think of off the top of my head. I don't even know what other issues I would run into. I'd just hate to pass on a free block that's practically new.

So what do you guys think? Please don't ask me to sell it to you, shipping would be very costly. I just want to know if you think it would be worth the aggravation just to have a built CVVT motor, when I really don't even know how far I would want to build it or how much money I will have in the future available to spend on it. I mean, it would most definately be a long term project. Performance wise, from what I understand, the only advantage is that the CVVT has hydraulic lifters, runs smoother and has better gas mileage and the non-CVVT doesn't. I just don't know what to do.

I know you guys will have opinions, you always do, so please share them! LOL nana.gif
Old 10-26-2007, 12:39 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Where there's a will there's a way. With the majority of the cost being free, you should do it!

I'm jealous.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Looks like, as usual, you've done your research and know what is coming. Go for it, TAKE your time with an end goal in sight, and you'll have exactly what you want.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:53 PM

So what kind of performance am I looking at from a decently built 2.0L CVVT N/A motor? I'm not sure if I want to spend the money to go turbo, that's quite a chunk of change. What all would I have to do to go N/A and do it RIGHT?

And yeah, I'm gonna have to do a lot more research on the differences in the tech specs between the two motors. I know the specs are the same for the two blocks, bore/stroke/compression and such. The oil pumps are different, and obviously the water passages are different because of the differences in the head gaskets.

However, I just can't help but smile every time I walk past my "pet" block in the back of the warehouse... lol.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:18 PM

Honestly, the MOST you would push NA on that thing, if you went with quad throttle bodies and overbored the cylinders, is probably near or just over 200 WHP. That's doing EVERYTHING you possibly could to it, and spending probably more than 8 Grand on it.

A decent turbo system, done right, would run far less, and with a spare engine you can take your time to do it right.

Look at this kit.

http://www.kdmstuff.com/shop/step1.php?number=699

Or this one.

http://www.kdmstuff.com/shop/step1.php?number=698

Not complete kits, but we can sell them, and you get everything you need. Only extra you'd need is a engine management system, such as a SMT6 or the like.

COmparatively, here is a full kit we sell.

http://www.kdmstuff.com/shop/step1.php?number=596

Of course ours would be a bit cheaper, as we don't do ECU's for the RD's (US RD's use a different ECU than Korean RD's), but that's one hell of a kit, as those manifolds and pipes are top friggin notch.

Now I want one.

LOL
Old 10-26-2007, 03:00 PM

Oh my... this could take years... lol.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:11 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

some people have used some weird combo's I think jaws was one. Look up some of his old posts. I'm thinking the block is pretty much the same. The head is where the changes were made.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Nex

does anyone on the site have the kit? my god this is making me consider turbo.... im gonna go read up on the turbo stuff dammit. lol
Old 10-26-2007, 09:08 PM

QUOTE (Supercow @ Oct 26 2007, 04:11 PM)
some people have used some weird combo's I think jaws was one. Look up some of his old posts. I'm thinking the block is pretty much the same. The head is where the changes were made.

I looked up his old topics, and all I can find stated is that his is a Beta 1/Beta 2 hybrid, I'm assuming probably within a close year range. What I'm dealing with is the difference between a 2001 Tib block and a 2007 Tucson block, both 2.0L. I don't know what differences there may be in the two blocks, how much they may or may not have improved/changed the block in 6 years. Are ALL Hyundai 2.0L blocks created equal? I would love to be able just to put my current head on a new block without having to deal with getting a new head, harness and ECU. What a pain that will be.

Things that make you go "Hmmmm..."
Old 10-27-2007, 12:12 AM

They are nearly equal, it's good enough. Get us some pics if you want, but the block should be fine.

I know what you mean about the Turbo kits, they look SO damned good, I want one now.