Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Oil Level

Old 06-12-2002 | 10:49 PM

Default Oil Level

Y'know. I think i figured out why my IM was really dirty inside. I have my oil level to a little above the F mark. And a few people have been telling me that it should be between the E and F. Any truths to this?

Can you actually reduce performance by having it higher than F? Also i'm running 5-50 which is overkill, but whats a good oil for hot GA summer? 10-50? 15-50?
Old 06-13-2002 | 12:15 AM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

Dude if your IM's filthy on the inside maybe you should get your PCV valve checked out before looking at the oil level...
Old 06-13-2002 | 02:45 AM

Decker:
Y'know. I think i figured out why my IM was really dirty inside. I have my oil level to a little above the F mark. And a few people have been telling me that it should be between the E and F. Any truths to this?
Naw its just there for looks
lol
YES MAN!
Old 06-13-2002 | 03:07 AM

well ok don't think i'm a retard for my question.

What i meant was, that i had it at the F mark or a little above. And people told me that since it was full or overfull that some of the oil may leak back into the IM to be reburned. But by keeping the level around 50% it'll keep oil vapors from getting back into the IM.
Old 06-13-2002 | 09:03 PM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

Dude actually keeping the oil level on precisely the F mark is whats good for the car, the engine only needs a certain amount of oil circulating at a certain pressure, sorry man I forgot the values it's been a while since the last service workshop Any excess oil will cause pressure to build up in the crankcase. this pressure will take the path of least resistance and make its way up to the heads and past the valve stem seals causing the dreaded oil buring in the chamber syndrome. thats what the PCV vlave is for in a way, to re-circulate this pressure and the vapors that are in the pressure charge. You can leave the oil level between the F and L marks, no problem, the factory's done it's homework, so there won't be any problem.

Excess oil also impedes crankshaft motion, robbing power and making it harder to overcome inertial load upon the crankshaft. Because of the ring profile, it can also cause pressure blowpass past the rings if they're really worn. This is the reason why the morons who want quick-revving engines with VERY consistant oil pressure, and no pressure drop because of oil swirling away from the pickup during crazy moving of the car tend to lean towards the dry-sump systems.They're morons because they have more $$$ than me

Thats about it man...hope it helps a little.