Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Occasional Idle Problem

Old 11-09-2005, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine doesnt go down itll float around 1500 then go down a lil back up to 1500 then down to 800 just sitting somewhere after moving sometimes. lol
Old 11-09-2005, 08:21 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

if it really happened only after you've installed the air ram then i'd definitively check for vacuum leaks (gaskets,hoses) and tps basicly all you've worked on

the maf was "fileld" with oil.. .did you clean the little sensor part? use either rubbing alcool or carb cleaner
Old 11-10-2005, 11:52 AM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

I have the kiefco sensor, I did read on a service bulliten about the recall for the dae sungs. I also checked every sensor involved with that area, TPS, MAF, IAC, the coil packs, which by the way did test out of spec on the connector side of the circuit (don't really think that would be the cause - only off by .4 ohms). So when I get my Hotwires back, I think I will get some good spark plugs (not like the silverstone plugs I have were cheap - $8 each.) What do you guys think of iridium plugs, worth the money? The MAF sensor itself was never contacted by the oil, there was just a little oil running down into the maf pipe. Do you guys think it could be the injector grounds? I know I had to move the grounding point for them. Did you guys just run both little metal connectors (you know, there was like one ground for two injectors) to one ground? Could one of you just tell me where you ran your grounds for you injectors? I just bolted the two ground ends together and ran a ground wire over to one of the bolts that goes into the firewall. Also, the TB wouldn't have anything to do with it would it? I have the throttle cable adjusted so the plate is all the way closed when I am off of the pedal. I need to check my PCV valve too. Thanks a lot for the continued help. smile.gif
Old 11-10-2005, 12:45 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

Iridium plugs are not worth it! You can buy 10 sets of usual NGK plugs (for like $3 for one plug)instead of just 1 set of iridium. Also if you filled up bad gas you can kill iridium (and platinum) plugs. IMO you will not notice any dufferences except in price.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:49 PM

Cool, the heck with getting new spark plugs then. I checked the PCV and it is fine. I guess my ignition coil must be the cause? Either that or those injector grounds (I doubt they are the problem). It is odd though, I checked out like 4 different ignition coils at my local junkyard and the low tension terminals all measured the same as my stock one (.9 - 1.0 ohms). I wonder why that is. I really doubt my ignition coils are the problem either. But it just doesn't make any sense that the car only ever does this at idle. During regular on-throttle driving there is no power loss or rough engine operation. Could it be my ECU (well, of course it could). I am only asking because one of my main ECU grounds went bad about a month ago (the car would not start at all), so I ran a new ground to the one of the lower ECU mounting bolts. Was that a bad idea? If so, how would I go about fixing the factory ground (I have no clue where it went to, but I am almost positive it was from pin 55 on the harness). Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the help. smile.gif
Old 11-28-2005, 08:39 AM

Well, I figured it out. I had removed the EVAP canister and something to do with the purge was affecting the idle. I just simply re-located the EVAP to inside the engine bay and now the problem is gone. Does anyone else who has this problem have their EVAP canister removed?
Old 11-28-2005, 08:41 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

No one has issues after they remove the Evap cannister unless they did it wrong.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:46 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

QUOTE (tdonnell @ Nov 28 2005, 08:39 AM)
Well, I figured it out. I had removed the EVAP canister and something to do with the purge was affecting the idle. I just simply re-located the EVAP to inside the engine bay and now the problem is gone. Does anyone else who has this problem have their EVAP canister removed?

Yes, I did.

QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Nov 28 2005, 08:41 AM)
No one has issues after they remove the Evap cannister unless they did it wrong.

I'm not so sure about that. Who do you know that has actual done this?
Old 11-30-2005, 07:47 AM

Yeah, I know I did it right. But still had the problem. I think it has to do with the sudden loss of pressure without the canister. It is too quick of a pressure drop. I am not sure exactly what caused it, but I am just mentioning this because other people said they have this very same problem. So, if the others on this site having this problem also have their EVAP canisters removed, then to fix the problem all they have to do is put the EVAP back in.