Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

O2 Sensor / Check Engine Light

Old 04-26-2006, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys

I have been having issues with my O2 sensors lately that I have questions about it. About a year ago my check engine light came on and my 01 tiburon started to run sluggish. So I took it in and they said one of my O2 sensors had gone out. They replaced it with a bosch one but it just went out again. So they put in one straight from the dealer and it worked fine. About a week ago I took my car up to San Francisco and back from San Diego. This was about a 10 hr drive and at the last 30 min of the trip the check engine light came back on and the car started to run sluggish again. Could the same O2 sensor have gone out or could another one have gone out. I believe my year tiburon has like three sensors on it. I checked it on the diagnostic computer and it came up with a code of p1148. I went to the dealer to try and find out what O2 sensor this code refers to but they couldn't tell me. Does anyone know which sensor should be replaced?

Thanks for your help
Old 04-26-2006, 08:31 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

1. According to your profile you don't own a tiburon. Please update your profile with your location and year of Tiburon.

2. You probably DO have another bad sensor. Use Webtech to find out which one that CEL is pointing to, or look it up on google.

3. Have you had your exhaust manifold inspected to see if you have a cracked one? it'a a recall and could definately be throwing off readings.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:34 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

our tiburons have two O2 sensors. if the dealer fixed it and it went bad again, they didn't fix it. try going back with your receipt.

i'll let the smarter people answer this, but my wild guess is you probably need a new catalytic converter which is causing the sensor to give bad readings. it could be the sensor again though, how many miles does your car have on it? and do you have any aftermarket exhaust or anything of that sort?
Old 04-26-2006, 08:39 PM

My car currently has about 63,000 miles on it. I had the manifold replaced on the recall a while ago so I don't think that's the problem. My only performance mods are an AEM intake and an exhaust. And it's p1128 not p1148. I looked it up on webtech and it just says it's a problem with the fuel system.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:47 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

are you sure you use good gas? leeded gas can easily kill O2 sensor.
do you use fuel additives?
Old 04-27-2006, 01:45 AM

I always fill up with chevron so it's good on that part. I am guessing that Redz is right about the same O2 sensor going out again. I just have no idea why it went out so soon.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:47 AM

D, short of race gas.. it is near impossible to get leaded gas for your car here in the US.

I would definatly look at either a bad sensor or a bad cat.

Sluggish running can be an overheating cat. Have you tried resetting the computer by unhooking the battery for a few minutes and then hooking it back up?