Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Not Good Performance After 1.8 Cam And Ppim

Old 05-12-2010, 03:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97' Hyundai Coupe

Yep I keep'em and will test run it tonight. I installed dynostorm for my blackberry so also want to try it smile.gif

All the things I did after started this treat:
change the oil - Repsol 10w40 my oppinion its very good oil, but still some thicking noise sad.gif
reset the ecu and drive it hard
today I'll connect those hoses and hopefully tonight i'll share some good news smile.gif

Also want to thank all the guys who are trying to help and are not b****ing about my "perfect" english fing02.gif
Old 05-12-2010, 02:06 PM

you mentioned a lot of oil and dirt in your intake system, get some maf cleaners and clean that sucker off. it'll help some. and if your engine still has what i guess you mean as a "tick" try using an engine cleaners like seafoam if you have it over there. good luck tonight
Old 05-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Banned

It's raining all day long so no runs tonight 02.gif I'll ask about this seafoam wink1.gif
Old 05-12-2010, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

This isn't a performance manifold from Weiand on a big V8, it's a probably mildly-redone stock manifold on a 4-banger. A new cam will not be required, especially without supporting head work!

The ticking noise is your valvetrain beating itself to death against itself. The hydraulic lash adjusters are smashing into the cam shafts. Get an oil filter from a Hyundai dealership. The OEM filter is a high quality part, and Hyundai has a Technical Service Bulletin about the ticking noise, the cure is to use the OEM filter. If you have HLA ticking and you run the engine hard, this is a Very Bad Thing to do!

I think it may be worth saying at this point, that you can now NEVER make an adequate comparison to the way you used to have your car set up. Changing to a different oil, especially to a high quality oil after using the old oil for too long, might make up the performance lost and then some. The only truly valid comparisons you can make are before/after changing one part at a time, because some changes can work against each other.

The oil in the intake manifold is from a malfunctioning PCV valve. Check/clean/replace the PCV valve, then consider installing an air/oil separator (like for air compressors) on the line from the PCV valve to the intake manifold.

Your English is better than the Bulgarian spoken by all the other members of RD Tiburon put together.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:39 AM
Banned

I changed the oil filter and a friend told me that my best bet is "Mann" ?! The ticking noise was there even before installing the 1.8 cam, but after the swap it was louder ! I'm drivin' the car for 2-3 with the new oil and the response is a lot better, also the ticking is not so loud...hopefully it will disappear hail.gif

Do you think that it's ok for the engine when these hoses are disconnected ? Now that my intake system is clean I don't want any oil in it mad.gif Is it a problem to drive it like this? As I said before the car is smooth and the idle is ok.

I don't know maybe it's just me or the car really runs better with the new oil. The only thing I don't like right now is this ticking !

Thank you Stocker, I'm really happy that there are still some nice guys like you in the forums wink1.gif
Old 05-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

I try to post after the morning coffee kicks in wink1.gif

Do NOT hope the ticking will go away. Install an OEM oil filter. And do NOT run the engine hard if the valve train is ticking. If the noise goes away in under 15 minutes, when the engine has only been turned <3000 RPM, that is a sign of a dirty/poor oil filter and/or old oil. It is possible the noise is louder because you are listening more closely. It is also possible you need a new set of HLAs. New oil gets in the HLAs easier and may quiet them, so it makes sense that an oil change would quiet them. Also you may have installed a better filter than whatever was on there before. If you were in the US I'd tell you to never use FRAM oil filters, as they are notorious for causing ticking noises.

It may be your imagination, but it is also possible that your car will have (very) slightly more power after an oil change.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:22 AM
Banned

The ticking starts after some 5-10mins. Do you think I have to drive it a little more with the new oil filter or go buy OEM oil filter ? I will top my oil ( to max ) , cause now it's between min and max.

Can somebody tell is it a problem if my hoses that connect the engine with the intake manifold and the CAI are disconnected ?
Old 05-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

If you are referring to the hoses for the positive crankcase ventilation system, it's only a problem if you care for the environment. They used to have a 'breather' with a filter on it, and a car's engine would just drip the oil on the ground. Now the oil is burned in the combustion chamber of modern cars.

Using an OEM oil filter will only help. If you can spare the money, I'd say go for it, because it will at least eliminate the filter as a possible cause. I don't like that it ticks AFTER the engine warms up though. 02.gif Is the noise all the way across, or is it only on the right side (transmission side) of the top of the engine? My brain is not working properly . . . will old/ailing injectors tick when they get hot?
Old 05-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Banned

I'm almost sure that the ticking noise is from th HLAs, but I think it's better to post a video of my running engine. I hope tomorrow the weather will be btter, cause I want to test drive it and use my blackberry ( dynostorm ). When I have the opportunity to test it I will post some videos !
Old 05-14-2010, 07:59 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

HLA's also tick when the oil is low, I know this because I burn a bit of oil and ticking HLA's are my early warning sign that it's time to top off.

On a related note, Stocker do you know what the hyundai part number for HLA's is? My Hyundai parts tech couldn't find it today.