Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Not Good Performance After 1.8 Cam And Ppim

Old 04-29-2010 | 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

warp21 the timing is very easy to get right, especially if it's double-checked. I'd be surprised if the intake were not to blame.

blitz, the things you have done to your car should be easily compensated for by a stock ECM, but it wouldn't hurt to get a datalogger on there, or at least a wideband O2 sensor to check fuel trim. These cars usually run WAY more fuel than required. If you still have it, replace the camshaft with the original one and post times. Resetting the ECM should not be necessary. Do you have access to a stock intake manifold for troubleshooting purposes?
Old 04-29-2010 | 10:51 AM

Vehicle: 06 suby impreza outback sport

there is a slight increase if you have mods to help out. but always third will be the doggy gear, dont expext anything. but double clutching or just a clutch kick in third might help out. that was my little trick when i'd get pulled in third to catch up. this is just my 2 cents.

my mods were cai, 2 1/2in cat back, light weight crank pulley, 1.8 cam, 1.8 ecu, iriduim plugs, ngk wires, stage 1 clutch. i'm not one of those guys that do good at the tracks but i had killer 60fters and launch times. best 60fter is 1.8 and launch .007. i was able to keep up with gt v6 tibs mith minor mods.

did you get the right 1.8 cam by the way? i think it should have j2 stamped on it.
Old 04-29-2010 | 11:48 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 97' Hyundai Coupe

First thanx for the friendly answers hail.gif

warp21 I don't think that I can do any mistake when putting the 1.8 cam in. I can't miss this mark on the cam and I marked the chain before removing the original one. About the overlap I didn't get it ( sorry for my english ) can you explain it again smile.gif

stocker I still have the original cam, but I'll first chip it and I'll do some tests on the same track, cause I did the last test on different road. I don't think that there is any difference between these tracks, but I'm starting to believe that maybe it's from my clutch... I just don't know?!? Can it be because of the quality of the fuel ?!?
I don't have another intake manifold.

lilo shark I'm 100% sure that I bought the right cam.

I'll make video of my acceleration and post it here.

Thanx again wink1.gif
Old 04-29-2010 | 11:59 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Accent

Overlap is when that the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time. More overlap moves the power band higher in the rpm range and less moves it down. This could possibly occur if the exhaust cam was installed correctly and the intake cam was not.
Old 04-29-2010 | 12:05 PM
Banned

Now everything is clear wink1.gif
I didn't touch the exhaust cam so it's 100% ok smile.gif What do u think I did wrong when installing the 1.8 cam? I'm sure that the tooth is at the right place in the chain...
Old 04-29-2010 | 12:19 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Accent

I guess it's possible that the intake cam is off by a tooth. I'm pretty sure the car would still run in this state but I'm not sure how well.
Old 04-29-2010 | 12:21 PM

Do you have a camera?

I think its time you posted up a video or something of you car running idle and driving around a bit.

It seems like the same things are getting talked about with no avail.

Take a vid so we can help you more.
Old 04-29-2010 | 03:42 PM
Banned

I'm sure that the cam is not off by a tooth. Like I said I'll make video tomorrow and post it here.
Old 04-29-2010 | 06:54 PM

here when i get time in the next couple of days i'm opening mine up and triple checking to make sure i put it in correctly.

could the problem maybe be our primary o2 sensors? i saw someone mentioned that
Old 04-29-2010 | 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you are comparing performance from different roads, that will almost certainly give different results!