Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Not Good Performance After 1.8 Cam And Ppim

Old 04-28-2010 | 11:37 AM

my car runs normally other than the lack in power at higher rpms, the idle is perfect there's no bogging or random loss of power, its just it doesnt pull the way it used to. i think some time in the next week i'm gonna open it back up and quadruple check everything to make sure its right.
Old 04-28-2010 | 02:02 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 97' Hyundai Coupe

The same with me... the car runs fine and I even thought that there is some increase in power cause in 1st and 2nd gear it pulls really good, but the third gear is way too slow! Do you guys think it might need more fuel ?
Old 04-28-2010 | 02:14 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

This thread is funny.

"I had a noticeable power increase" ..."increase in power cause in 1st and 2nd it pulls really good"....blah blah

Not to be rude, but REALLY? Even if there was a 5whp increase (and thats pushing it) Do you really think you are going to FEEL that? Then you haven't been around cars long enough.

All the talk about the mods adding hp because you can FEEL it and NOTICE it, is all circumstantial. Its a perception, you did a mod, so it had to of increased hp.

That's not how it works in the real world. You want to proof that there was a hp bump in 1.8 cams? Do three dyno pulls back to back with old cams, swap cams, and do 3 more dyno pulls with all other variables remaining constant. SAME DAY! Has anyone done that? I haven't seen it. THATS what proofs power, not FEEL and NOTICE.

Until I see the dyno comparison. 1.8 cams do nothing and if so, maybe 2-3whp. Weather outside can give you more whp then that tongue.gif
Old 04-28-2010 | 02:30 PM
Banned

So what's ur problem?!? And yes maybe it's my mistake cause I wasn't driving it hard for some time and that's why i thought it might be some increase!!! I'm basically sayin' that I also think that there is no increase ( hopefully no decrease )! Like u all like to say search and u'll se that " this is the best mode for the money" ?!?
My simple question is do I need to tune it for more fuel?
Old 04-28-2010 | 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

On an otherwise stock car, it will tune itself. That's what the O2 sensor and computer are for.
Old 04-28-2010 | 08:36 PM

My problem is that everyone makes claims with NO proof of any gains. Then other people come along and belief everything they read on the internet without doing any other outside research. Do you know the differences between the 1.8 and 2.0 cam profileÉ
Old 04-28-2010 | 08:58 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I have never done the measurements myself, but I have seen posts with measurements. The lift/duration was increase slightly, not even close to aftermarket cams though. For you to notice a loss in power I'd bet you got the timing belt or chain a tooth off or something.

edit: hey found the chart!
http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forums/n...ted-1-22-a.html
Old 04-28-2010 | 10:34 PM

That chart proofs how useless this mod really is lol.
Old 04-29-2010 | 12:45 AM
Banned

Before doing the swap I also found this chart and asked a lot of guys what they think after this mod! They were more than happy with it. And I think that u r absulutely right that everybody makes claims with no proof of any gains ! No dynos, no drag stip times... nothing!
The cam is installed perfect ( idle is ok, the car runs fine) it's only after i test it found out that the times are actually slower. Like tanc told me I restarted the ECU and for about 2-3 days I'm driving it really hard. Today I'll change the oil with castrol magnatec. I'll test it again these days and after the chip tuning I'll test it again to see if there is any difference.
My car is not heavily tuned , but it's not stock - CAI, custum exhaust, 1.8 cam, P&P IM and TB coolant bypass.
I don't know may be I'm wrong , but I think that the car need to be tuned to add more fuel.
Old 04-29-2010 | 05:57 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Accent

I swear it sounds like a cam timing issue. Moving the cam timing moves the power band and it sounds like yours has been shifted more to the lower rpm range or too advanced. The other possibility is you've lost overlap which also would hurt higher rpm power.