Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Noncvvt Swap To Cvvt Engine?

Old 07-09-2008, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tiburon Fx

I posted this on newtiburon.com hoping that someone would have a quick response... but not bites yet. Thought I'd grab some input here.

Originally I was just planning on getting the nonCVVT Beta 2, but REDZ put me on the idea of getting the Beta 2.5 (that is Beta 2 w/CVVT). Before I go out and buy an engine from the yard I wanted to get some additional input.

NT Thread

Here's my question...

I searched the the forums but didn't come up with any clear information.

I have an RD2 Tiburon and am going to be replacing the engine. I know for sure that I'm putting in a Beta 2 engine, but I have the option for the nonCVVT MAP based or CVVT MAF based. For right now I'm keeping my RD2 stock harness and ECU (I'll be using Beta 1 sensors in the Beta 2).

So my question is,

Will a 04+ CVVT engine be better than the 03 nonCVVT?

Has any 03 GKs swapped to the CVVT engine successfully?

I later plan on supercharging the I4 with a complete kit, which would involve replacing the stock harness with the GK one, with a reflashed ECU. Which engine would lend itself more in that direction?

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2008, 11:22 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

FI and cvvt is usually not good because of tuning. Also, would be a ton of work to actually get the cvvt working, swapping harness and ecu would be needed. I would stick with the noncvvt for sure.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Banned

as i said yesterday.... don't even bother with swapping in a CVVT engine.. wouldn't even be worth it IMO if you weren't going FI.

and since your going FI, def. not worth trying it.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:43 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

cams are next to none for the cvvt.. same with software and hardware... your best bet is to put a GK or XD head on there.. Why? with the older Tiburon head you have HLA. and the GK and XD the valve lash is adjustable via shims. you can set your lift when you run higher lift cams if you want and the same for the lower lift cams. the other plus's are that you don't have to worry about your hyldoric lifter craping out.. you will get better mid and top end out of the gk/xd head on account there is no lifter sag or surging on the account that the HLA cant not keep up with the high rpms...

you should do this

1. XD. head Port and polish... the exhaust side is the most important on the beta
2. XD head gasket..
3. 1.8L pistons if you want to go 1mm OS make sure you have the rings to match the bore. you will need the s-AFC to dial in the injector or re-flash the ecu
4. Cvvt oil pump swap.. this is what i put on my car. why the oil pump gear is bigger and thicker.. also if you want to up the oil pressure. insert a 10mm nut at the bottom of the pressure release spring. you will need to file off the Conner's of the nut to make it fit within the 24mm nut witch the spring sits in.. this is tried and tested here and i have don't it to my car as well in fact you can do this with all Korean cars..
Old 07-10-2008, 12:33 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

all the sensors/wiring is diffrent on a cvvt engine. you will have to swap EVERYTHING
Old 07-10-2008, 01:36 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon Fx

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input!

I'm going to get the Beta 2 nonCVVT for sure now.

I'm not planning on just replacing the Head for this car though. The current engine has 119k on it and sounds horrible, and generally just needs to be replaced.

So I'd be swapping the entire engine. For this project, I don't feel comfortable yet pulling the head off getting that far in yet. For right now, just the beta 2 engine, with beta 1 sensors and stock ECU/harness. (maybe the 1.8 ECU)

Mad_John suggested the XD over the GK... I was under the impression that the GK and XD engines were exactly the same.

I have both GKs and XDs around me for about the same price, relatively the same distance. I'd inclined to get a GK engine just for the valve cover... or is it a wrong assumption on my part that the XDs have the ugly valve cover?
Old 07-10-2008, 05:25 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Same cover my man. MJ, Im going to read on the oil more carefully but do you have a pic maybe? Ill look at it tonight. I may want to do that.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:54 PM

get an engine from an 00-02 XD its non cvvt (started that late in 03) so if you just get those years you will be in the clear.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:59 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

^ thanks homie.. i frogot to mention that..
Old 07-11-2008, 09:39 AM

bought my engine for $400bucks plus 12 month warrenty for another $100

bought tranny from same place $150 and i could have bought same warrenty but i was short on funds at the time.