Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Noisy Engine After Autox. Easy Fix?

Old 04-18-2006, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm due for an oil change... What is the best grade for what I am doing...
Old 04-18-2006, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been doing some track time for 4 years with the beta. The hydrolic lifters tend to "tic" when the engine is pushed for a certian period of time. The lifters discharge and they tic because they don't have anymore oil in them.

I use Motul 8100 5w40. I check oil level before and after every track session. I have an oil pressure guage and it doesn't drop to justify a pan/pump/capacity modification. The problem is the HLA and running them over 5500rpm for a relatively long period of time. The problem is in the head, not the pan.

EASY FIX, go for a 5-10min cool down between 3-3500rpm. The lifters will "charge" and the tickinbg will go away. If they don't after a few hundred km of regular driving, they need to be replaced. With aggresive cams, they will be done after 30-40 000km.

I have also seen the cam chain exteding, on cars over 100-120 000km, and hitting the metal rail above. It generates a similar ticking sound.