Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

No More Cotton/gauze(k&n Style) Air Filters For Me

Old 05-26-2005 | 05:26 PM

that's a lil suspicious....sneaky bastard! ninja.gif
Old 05-26-2005 | 05:59 PM

QUOTE (hamhead @ May 26 2005, 05:55 PM)
Me thinks I'm going to have to clean my K&N filters more often...

Well, that's the solution isn't it? I have two K&N cone filters and I change them almost every 6 months, when they come out they are not too dirty, I suspect they let a lot more flow than any paper filter. Another thing is that the restriction of the paper filter PLUS the airbox is big, one advantage of the cotton cone filter is not only that it flows more, but that it can be installed in places where std. paper filters couldn't be installed or at list wouldn't be as easy as.
Old 05-26-2005 | 06:38 PM

so, you guys are suspicious just because AC-Delco came out on top?

Would you trust the results if they came from K&N?
Would you trust the results if they came from GM?

These are just 2 smucks who decided to do some testing. I trust them more than I would trust a test performed BY AC/Delco, K&N, GM, or any of the other filter companies.

Maybe...just maybe... the OEM's know what they are doing when the make air filters.... Naw, couldn't be. K&N's give 20+ HP right? rolleyes.gif

I'll have to see if I can find the other test that was out on the net a few years back.

Some guys hooked up air filters to a very large vacuum cleaner, and then measured the intake flow restriction. Then they also did their own "dust test" to see how much just each filter would let through, and how fast it would clog.

Their results were nearly the same, only their best filter (for filtration and longevity) was a stock nissan paper element filter. The worst was a "BLITZ" stainless steel mesh filter, followed by a HKS foam hemispherical filter (half circle). The "best" filtering was the APEX-i filter, it also had the best HP. If i'm not mistaken, APEX-i filters are paper element filters that are oil treated.

[EDIT] Just found these links.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

And so much for the power of K&N drop in filters...

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techartic...198/index4.html

What I can't believe is that mustang 5.0 Magazine actually reccomends the K&N even though it showed next to no improvement (within the range of stastical dyno error)
Old 05-26-2005 | 06:47 PM

It had nothing to do with GM being on top, it has everything to do with a GM enthusiast being involved, the vehicle being tested was a GM product and the filter is made by a GM division...too much GM there. smile.gif
Old 05-26-2005 | 06:55 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Tony, I remember that test man.

But again, won't oiled cone filters clean better?

Something I hate about this stuff is that you can easily sway any #'s you wantyour way.
Old 05-26-2005 | 06:58 PM

QUOTE (CyberShark @ May 27 2005, 12:47 AM)
It had nothing to do with GM being on top, it has everything to do with a GM enthusiast being involved, the vehicle being tested was a GM product and the filter is made by a GM division...too much GM there. smile.gif

The owner was a GM guy, but the person doing the test was a FORD guy. Does that make you feel better? lol.gif

Found the test
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/1/
You have to just look at the pictures unless you can read Kanji...
Old 05-26-2005 | 07:15 PM

No, not really wink1.gif
Old 05-26-2005 | 07:16 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

wouldn't CAI's with smaller tubing get clogged up faster anyways?
Old 05-26-2005 | 07:19 PM

the CAI itself doesn't get clogged, it's the filter that gets clogged. The only things that affect filter logging are....

How dusty/dirty it is where you live
How much air passes through the air filter (high/low RPM, and how long has it been on since your last cleaning)

You could put the filter on a 1" pipe or a 8" pipe, if the same air flows through both filters, the pipes flow the same ammount, and both filters will get just as dirty.
Old 05-26-2005 | 10:01 PM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

dam good find. i think that i will be making some changes soon wink1.gif