Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

NiCom coating

Old 05-29-2002 | 10:26 AM

Default NiCom coating

Here's something for you engine builders.

Today's 2 stroke off road vehicle manufacturer's are using a special coating process on cylinder walls to promote longer life, less friction, and better ring seating. It's a heck of a lot more durable than aluminum which means the cross-hashing lasts longer, which means better oil retention on the cylinder walls. It has a bunch of other great advantges as well.

There is a company called US Chrome that I'll be sending my two stroke cylinder head to, to have coated. Not sure if they work on car engines, but I hear Mercedes is using it on their cars and that some US manufacturers will eventually be using it as well.

Something for you serious engine building freaks out there to look into.
Old 05-29-2002 | 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

But, to the best of my knowledge...2 strokes have much more oil in the cylinders than 4 strokes do, so the ring seal is much more lubricated than in a 4 stroke. I would worry that the increased friction of the 4 stroke would wear away the coating in no time.
Old 05-30-2002 | 08:12 AM

Random:
But, to the best of my knowledge...2 strokes have much more oil in the cylinders than 4 strokes do, so the ring seal is much more lubricated than in a 4 stroke. I would worry that the increased friction of the 4 stroke would wear away the coating in no time.
Actually, four strokes are better lubricated than two strokes... hence every 50-100 hours the upper end needs to be replaced. A ratio of 32:1 fuelil is hitting the piston rings and even then, most of it is getting burned. My friends who have four stroke quads and YZ426s don't even have to worry about rebuilds.. they just change their motor oil... I'm jealous.