Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

NGK v-power vs BOSH 4+ platinum

Old 06-04-2002 | 06:02 AM

Default NGK v-power vs BOSH 4+ platinum

This is odd. I originally had the BOSH 4+'s in my tibby and i upgraded to v-power plugs with kore wires and all my other mods.

So i was putting out 148-158ps on my RSM-GP and when i changed back to the bosch's i can't get a lick above 128ps.

It could be due to the heat too, but i took the one reading after I got my BIM in 1 1/2 weeks ago, and recently. So there shouldn't be that mutch change.

Is it possible that there could be a 20 or so points difference between the plugs in the top-end.

btw, the average range(not top-end) is around 128-135 with v-power and 110-115ps for platinums.
Old 06-04-2002 | 06:14 AM

copper (ngk) is a better conductor
Old 06-05-2002 | 03:52 AM

Well i tested it, ngk v-groove actually gives you more power than the platinum 4+.

I did three runs, one run to warm up the engine, and then another one with the bosch's in came up with 128ps. Changed plugs and ran and I got 137ps.
These are average values, not peak. And it was flipping hot out. So there is definetly a difference between all the plugs. If anyone wants to send me a bunch of different plugz i'll do runs with all of them and then return them. I'd be interested in seeing the values of irridium plugz and the ngk v-groove 4way plugz

If anyone wants proof, i'll got do the runs again with pictures.
Old 06-05-2002 | 09:22 AM

So copper flows more current than Platinum? I have Splitfire triple platinums in my 01 Spectra. It made a difference when I installed them.

Do you think the NKGs would work even better?
Old 06-05-2002 | 11:05 AM
Jay

Vehicle: 1998 Tib

Your engine will eat the Bosch in about 20,000 miles. The best spark plug for a Hyundai is NGK. Champion, Bosch, etc. They all don't work well. I have experiences with both, I know.
Old 06-05-2002 | 12:22 PM

A very debatable issue, but I'm not going to start.
smile.gif

Whatever anyone says, the fact remains that whatever plug offers the lowest resistance (meaning it allows more spark from the wires to the cumbustion chamber), is the better plug.

Cost matters nothing, neither does the material.
If the Iridium plugs boast the lowest resitance, that means they are the best. If the Bosch claim that title, ditto. So on and so forth.

Be nice Random wink
Old 06-05-2002 | 12:27 PM

Ok so which plugs have the lowest resistance?
Old 06-05-2002 | 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

d_m_kolb:
Ok so which plugs have the lowest resistance?
You would have to measure several plugs with an Ohm meter and average out the resistance readings. All "copper" plugs are not created of all copper, and are not all equal. Ditto to iridium, Platinum..etc..etc..etc..

There are also specifc "resistor" plugs out there. (they are designed to offer up a specified amount of resistance to let the spark charge build...or that's the theory).

lastly..to make it an 'appples to apples' comparison, all plugs should be 100% new when the resistance is tested. Heat, and carbon/substance buildup/oxidation on the plug can radically affect it's resistance readings.

As long as you are doing plugs, you might as well check the resistance of spark plug wire brands too!
Old 06-06-2002 | 11:47 PM
BV1

Question, do high performance spark plug wires *really* make a differece. A spark is a spark, even a slightly brighter spark is still a spark right? Unless your engine is missing, what is the point of getting high performance wires?

-Steve
Old 06-07-2002 | 01:37 AM

what's the parts number of those ngv chopper spark for our tibs?

there is a difference between v chopper and v groove?
and are those pregapped?
thanks all