Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Next Level CAI

Old 06-05-2002, 06:03 AM
BV1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next Level CAI

Heres the idea... Everyone has a CAI, but the air entering the head is still running about 50-60C on a 20C degree day.

Soooo what if someone...

1. Installed one of Random's IM/Head spacers to cool off the IM by creating thermal resistance between the head (100C) and the IM (Idealy 20C)....

2. Installed a WRX type hood scoupe directly above the the IM.

3. Installed a 2.75 " CAI tube with a header wrapped 2.5" intake tube with the same bends INSIDE the 2.75". You could still paint the enterior one, and it would look great, and I can gaurntee that with the two layers of steel and the header wrap, that it would be as good a heat shield as a thermos :-) (I am working on this one tonight)

4. Now with all of these mods the car is gonna be running lean because the ECU assumes a 30 degree change in temperature from the temperature sensor to the combustion chamber. So why not throw a 22 ohm resistor across the temp. sensor? This will tell the ECU that the air is actually 20 degrees colder then it really is. Hence the car will inject more fuel and our extra cold air gets turned into power. (18 ohms will tell the ECU its 30 degrees colder but our cars run a little rich anyways).

I have the 2.75 installed now, I bought a 2.5" today and I am going to header wrap it and try installing it tonight inside the 2.75".

With these mods and the fitler drawing air from the fenderwell, should it not reduce the temperature of the air leaving the runners and entering the head to about 10 degrees (at most!) above exterior temerature? That would be good free HP. Opinions everyone?

-Steve
Old 06-05-2002, 06:17 AM

BV1:
Heres the idea... Everyone has a CAI, but the air entering the head is still running about 50-60C on a 20C degree day.

Soooo what if someone...

1. Installed one of Random's IM/Head spacers to cool off the IM by creating thermal resistance between the head (100C) and the IM (Idealy 20C)....

2. Installed a WRX type hood scoupe directly above the the IM.

3. Installed a 2.75 " CAI tube with a header wrapped 2.5" intake tube with the same bends INSIDE the 2.75". You could still paint the enterior one, and it would look great, and I can gaurntee that with the two layers of steel and the header wrap, that it would be as good a heat shield as a thermos :-) (I am working on this one tonight)

4. Now with all of these mods the car is gonna be running lean because the ECU assumes a 30 degree change in temperature from the temperature sensor to the combustion chamber. So why not throw a 22 ohm resistor across the temp. sensor? This will tell the ECU that the air is actually 20 degrees colder then it really is. Hence the car will inject more fuel and our extra cold air gets turned into power. (18 ohms will tell the ECU its 30 degrees colder but our cars run a little rich anyways).
-Steve
1. this will work

2. This works,... i know by experience

3. sounds good

4. I DOUBT YOU WILL RUN LEAN,... ditch the resistors

5. If i were you i would leave the 2.75 pipe in there,... just add more heat wrap

but keep us posted on how it goes
good luck

BTW,... how will you keep it from rattling,... and if you heat wrap the inside,... how will you get that sucker in there???youll eventually get to a bend where it will start stripping the heat wrap
Old 06-05-2002, 06:29 AM

Depending on the CAI. IF you are using the groments and if like mine. The Metal of the CAI never touches the TB.

Its the engine ambiant temp that hurts the CAI.

Hood scoop would work.

The GT's don't seem to have an airtemp sensor in the Intake so thats at the IM if at all.

Using the thermal gasket on the connection from the head to the IM would be the best place and maby a scoop to run cold outside air over the IM.
Old 06-05-2002, 07:20 AM
Guy

That sounds like an awesome IDEA! Let us know how it works out!!! I've been trying to get my hands on some spacers for a while now. Anyone know where to get them or will I have to have a machine shop & have them make them??? (If I do this anyone got measurements???) Thanks!
Old 06-05-2002, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The thermal IM gaskets are being made. I expect the first shipment in about 30 days.
Old 06-05-2002, 08:15 AM

Where did you get the 2.75 tubing? Is it flexible?
Old 06-05-2002, 08:24 AM
Guy

Neal - you should be able to get that 2.75" tubing @ an auto parts store (ie Autozone/Advanced Auto Parts) or a hardware store (ie Home Depot). Hope this helps.
Peace
PS you can get flex tubing!!!