Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

New Under Axle Exhaust Idea

Old 04-25-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

with all hopes high, i came up with a new strategy with my new shop up north.

i've figured out a way to use the OBX exhaust and frankenstein its existing parts into an under axle into the magnaflow. I will need to buy some stainless hangers and tell the shop to put in as many as possible hehe.

this means i will have two resonators.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:16 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Looks like it would work. However, keep in mind that setup puts the muffler in the lowest spot. The air moves slower through the muffler because it expands out. That would make it a collection point for water which could add to corrosion. Other then that it should work.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:27 PM

bummer you're right!!! arrrrrrghh... *wait, water corrosion on stainless steel??*

if i keep this, then the magna will have to point downward if the piping is to match up. i really don't think there are any nicer sounding mufflers.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Remember, Stainless steel is not impervious. It will eventually corrode. Think of it as it "Stains-Less" than regulat steel. Still a much better choice then mild steel to do an exhaust with. Should last much longer regardless. I'm considering under axle as well.....Hmmm......got me thinking now! LOL!
Old 04-26-2009, 11:42 PM

if the first shop hadn't royally fawked my mandrel bent mild steel apexi replica this all wouldn't be an issue. but they didn't know how it should go and crush bent the f*ck out of it and twisted it in all sorts of directions, which is why i'm here...

i need a good shop to do some wonders for me. but that won't happen until i get my bavarian remus muffler *evil laugh*

i dunno guys. the apexi curve looks like the best. if you figure anything out, let me know tibbytib!!
Old 04-27-2009, 01:57 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

i just got my exhaust done a couple of weeks ago and i went under axle. looking around i noted that the apexi exhaust route is awefully similar to the one i just made. all you need is 1 45 degree bend and 2 90's. i'll post some pics when i get off work.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:38 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yea, looks like it would work. Sucks you've had so much trouble in getting it the way you want.

My exhaust ends at the axle. Lot less complicated that way, lol.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:55 AM

hell yeah scoupeLS, they're available on ebay, but i'm not even sure if they're stainless. is it true that you have to have TIG welds on stainless in order for it to last?

thanks hamhead. hahaha. yep i guess i just keep learning and learning! today i took my corner that i take 5 days per week. i take it in 3rd gear and make a show flying past the people waiting for the bus (i know it's f---ed up lol hey at least it's in a hyundai and not some SLK). you can tell the car is just slower. i can't blow past the bus people anymore!!
Old 04-27-2009, 01:11 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

HKC, that's where I bought the mandrel bends. The way I wanted the exhaust, turned out great, it still have ground clearance and it's nicely tucked.
I don't have to worry about scraping the muffler or the lowest part of the exhaust. Here are some pics of the exhaust and a video.

I took this one with my celly, it's a shitty quality but you get the idea.

looking at the picture, I think that I could have gotten away with a 45 instead of a 90. oh well, hehe.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y9DdFAWzfrU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y9DdFAWzfrU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y9DdFAWzfrU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y9DdFAWzfrU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
pay no attention to the shitty idle, it's been fixed already.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:23 PM

WOW see that's exactly what I want to do!!! Thanks for those pictures. lol about the crazy idle, just brush that under the ol' carpet yah? so water won't stay in there at that low point?

car is lookin' good by the way.