Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

New Clutch!

Old 10-21-2007 | 11:43 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

^^^^
You ran them on your RD? What power were you putting down? I don't remember.

I'm glad you've been to their shop, but read my post again, I never said they spray painted anything, or that they didn't build them.

Some of you guys just can't read, and jump to conclusions.

As for Tibbytib's Tib, he broke his in, and he doesn't abuse his car, don't believe me, then go meet him yourself. He's the most meticulous Tib owner I've ever met, attention to detail is a way of life for him, and he knows what he's doing. He's the one with the Haltec mounted in his ECU housing for a plug and play ECU swap, running sequential injection, and the engine bay look immaculate.

If you guys want more info on Tibbytib's issues, PM him or ask him personally, as I can only state what he's told me, and the slippage I've felt in it myself.

Lastly, I didn't talk shit about Southbend, I talked shit about a shitty clutch they provided to one of our members here on RDTiburon.com.

QUOTE (SOCKS @ Oct 21 2007, 08:55 AM)
there is NO problem with his clutch engagement.. so i don't know where you understood his was slipping.

I dont' know if you are talking to me or not, but I never said that Caj's is slipping, I'd have know way of knowing.

southbend makes very good clutch systems.. and thats the FIRST negative i have ever heard about one.. theres plenty of possible reasons that its slipping besides it being a shitty clutch. could have sent him the wrong pressure plate.. grease could have gotten on the contact surfaces after install (common problem). also, clutchs aren't rated in whp, they are rated in ft. lbs..

I never said they didn't make good clutches, I have no idea bout them and have never heard of one installed till Tibbytib got his and put it in. It ran fine, and he does NOT race his car or run it hard, but after turbocharging, at 190 WHP to the wheels, it started slipping REGULARLY. So, it's the first one I've ever heard of, ever known that was installed, and it's slipping. If there are others here with one in and it's fine, then they are free to post too. Clutches may not be rated in "WHP", but they did tell Tibbytib 270 WHP is what it would hold, so that was THEIR rating, not mine.

southbend is not rebranding or just spraying the pressure plate.. southbend is a real company with a REAL background. not like XTD or gripforce. southbend clutchs are quality and regardless of any problems that tibbytib is having, caj is running abotu stock power, so there would be nothing at all to worry about.

Never said they did, I just compared it with how folks said those XTD and Gripforce ones were great, then found out they were just rebranded OEM clutches.

I'm glad the install went well and he's got a new clutch, for stock power, a stock clutch is fine, I'm just paying attention to clutches as my car is on it's OEM clutch/flywheel at 86,000 miles, and it's going to be replaced soon.

HERE IS THE POST FROM TIBBYTIB ABOUT HIS PROBLEMS.

QUOTE (tibbytib @ Oct 22 2007, 11:52 PM)
Sorry Zman for not chiming in earlier. fing02.gif

Yeah, Southbend and me are going to get into it here in the next few days. Clutch was put in with a new Fidanza Flywheel, broken in over about 1200 miles. As soon as I got the turbo on and was pushing over 170 WHP, she started slipping, BAD! 190 to the wheels and she just cant take it. Slips out of 2nd REALLY bad. Clutch is about 12 months old, actually 11 months, and 10 of those months where on an NA setup with light rims. I drive the car as a daily driver and do not push the car on a daily basis.

Jer can vouch, he road with me while I was at the ABQ BBQ. The clutch would engage, I'd step on it, and the RPMs soared, but we didnt! You may have better luck with the clutch than I did. Hopefully it is just a bad clutch out of the lot that they sold me. I hope their customer service is better than my experience with their product. I will let you know what happens when I contact them to see if they will replace the clutch or tell me to take a hike.
Old 10-21-2007 | 12:00 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ I hate my Seco more then I hate my old Valeo!

I WAS enjoying my lunch before viewing those pictures.
Old 10-23-2007 | 08:56 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Gee, my gripforce holds just fine 10+ pounds of boost and the car pulls like crazy, guess what, no slipping.

Hmmm... my perfectly good OEM clutch i took out slipped like crazy at 5 psi, what does that tell you, rattle-canned OEM my ass.
Old 10-23-2007 | 09:03 PM

Well gee, looks like we've had a lot of positive experiences, including my own (the clutch is only getting better as it breaks in) and one negative.

Must be that south bend makes shoddy clutches.

You're an ass redzman, thans for clogging up a thread where I was pretty excited about this.
Old 10-23-2007 | 09:20 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

you mean caj couldnt do it? cant even bench it? aww man. nana.gif owned.gif by the trans. lol good job guys and hope everyhting goes well. if it wouldnt have been a 3 hour drive either way ida showed up but what you gonna do yla know. oh yea arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics, even if you win your still retarded.
Old 10-23-2007 | 09:48 PM

haha, and I'm 145lbs to your, what, 2 somethin? tongue.gif

oh yeah, DTN, the flywheel looked a LOT better in person, just realized how it looked in the photo. doesn't look that way in person
Old 10-24-2007 | 12:36 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (Alex01tib @ Oct 23 2007, 08:56 PM)
Gee, my gripforce holds just fine 10+ pounds of boost and the car pulls like crazy, guess what, no slipping.

Hmmm... my perfectly good OEM clutch i took out slipped like crazy at 5 psi, what does that tell you, rattle-canned OEM my ass.

Hmm, I can't ever remember having heard anyone NOT like the Gripforce series either.

QUOTE (Caj Darkmoon @ Oct 23 2007, 09:03 PM)
Well gee, looks like we've had a lot of positive experiences, including my own (the clutch is only getting better as it breaks in) and one negative.

Must be that south bend makes shoddy clutches.

You're an ass redzman, thans for clogging up a thread where I was pretty excited about this.

A lot of positive experience? Where? Monoxidechild having it in 2 cars, that weren't boosted? I said your new clutch would probably be fine for stock power, but that's not what I was talking about, was it? So, one person, has used that same clutch, on 2 or 3 different stockish powered cars, and it didn't slip.

Must be able to hold 30000 HP.

I'm an ass? Because I came in here and informed folks that this clutch, the only one I'd ever heard of installed from this company, SUCKS? That makes me an ass eh? Lookin out for the members of this site? I'll remember that.

On that note, since I'm an ass, you can enjoy a vacation f***tard. Newbs get excited when they put their first neon bar on top of the sunroof, doesn't mean I'm going to say it's a good mod. I'll always call out shitty products, always have, always will, someone has to let folks know that it's not all sunshine being blown up their asses.

Thread closed. Tibbytib, I'll copy your post out and make a new thread of it if I can.
Old 10-24-2007 | 10:50 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Stop arguing about the damn clutch. Some like it, others don't. There's plenty of input here so that's enough. Anything related to the install of the clutch can be posted, but nothing else regarding the type of clutch is necessary.

what a bunch of pansies, arguing over the quality of a clutch. I'm sure some are good, some are bad. It's fine to argue and discuss, but most of you seem to be unable to do so in the appropriate manner.
Old 10-24-2007 | 10:52 AM
Banned

i have an update... my finger still looks exactly the same as it did in those pictures and it doesn't seem to be healing. mad.gif so yeah, that sucks..

majiktib, your a pansie. nana.gif
Old 10-24-2007 | 11:00 AM
Nex

its "pansy" man.

I think the whole argument got out of hand because of misunderstanding from both sides. It happens in all families doesnt it? that includes the RDT family.