Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

New Clutch!

Old 10-20-2007 | 11:53 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

So since I bought my car about 14 months ago the clutch has been going out on me. I first noticed it slipping about a month after I got it, and for the past 3 months I haven't been able to spin the tires because the clutch would just slip and burn. A few weeks ago I finally got the money together and ordered a DXD Rally Series clutch through South Bend Clutch. I thought about having someone else do it so I didn't have to pull apart my trans, but a $550 quote for labor changed my mind.

Thursday evening Socks drove down to help me out (2nd time he's done that, I'll add) and we started pulling things apart. Took us 8 hours start to finish, but to be honest if we'd had one more tool we could have done it in 5. Anyone else doing a clutch: Make SURE you have either a really nice jack (the kind with the 4 inch bowl and lift of like 3 feet) or an engine hoist, because especially when your car is up as high as mind it's a b**** to get it in there. So we literally could have cut off 2 or 3 hours with that one tool for getting the trans up and down. Anyways, we finished up about 4am and by 5am Socks was on his way back home.

Here's a note: if you're doing work on your car overnight, make sure you pay real close attention to your finish work... I drove 10 miles after we were done with loose lug nuts. By the time I noticed all 4 on my drivers side and 2 on my passenger side were completely loose. I had to stop every 50 feet for the last half mile to re-hand-tighten them.

I'd also like to thank socks for sacrificing his thumb for my car. tongue.gif About 5 minutes after we started he cut his thumb nearly to the bone on my fender well, literally he could pull back the skin and I couldn't believe you couldn't see bone. He's got some pics of that smile.gif

Here's some pics documenting the process:

Old 10-21-2007 | 12:02 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Heh, those south bend clutches suck, Tibbytib's is brand new, and slipping like HELL at like 190WHP.
Old 10-21-2007 | 12:04 AM

Actually Redz, they dont, they're quality brand name clutches that have a solid history. If his didn't work right then I'd say either he got unlucky or didn't install it right. Although I'm not riding it hard at all yet after only 150 miles, it doesnt slip at all.
Old 10-21-2007 | 12:09 AM
DTN

Dang... that's not what you want to hear after a new clutch job...

Did you resurface your flywheel? that's 1/2 of the grip.
Old 10-21-2007 | 12:10 AM

Actually, they do. Tibbytib was quoted that it would hold 270 WHP, and it won't hold even 200. Don't believe me, I could care less, you got ripped. PM Tibbytib about it, he's pissed. Tibbytib not install something right?

No.
Old 10-21-2007 | 12:14 AM

Redz I'd appreciate it if you'd keep your junk out of my thread. I'm not complaining about my clutch, I'm happy with it, and I dont need your negative crap. If a mod would remove those posts actually I'd appreciate it.

DTN, no, we checked the flywheel but it was actually still in perfect shape. No defects, wavyness or extensive heat marks. I was careful with my old clutch to keep from burning things up.
Old 10-21-2007 | 12:28 AM

Excuse me? Don't be mad because you bought what is probably a shitty clutch. I will post where I want, when I want, and my post is on topic. The topic is your new clutch. It's not my "negative crap", it's a review by someone on the site, a very good friendof mine, that happens to have one, and is VERY angry about it slipping at 190 WHP.

My posts will stand, as they are on topic, and completely with the forum rules.

I'd also like to mention that I posted about his issues with this shitty clutch, because he hasn't posted about it himself yet, and if anyone goes searching they'll know that one person, that is actually putting down a bit of power with a turbocharged setup, is slipping with this clutch at 190WHP, instead of the 270 they were quoted.

It's like those guys rebranding the OEM clutches under other names and just spray painting the pressure plate, folks need to be notified.
Old 10-21-2007 | 12:47 AM
DTN

it will be good to get a 2nd review of this clutch... Although I'd be more willing to bet that the problem lies within the non-resurfacing practices of people on this site!

When you change a clutch , it does not have wear patterns on it. The flywheel needs to be resurfaced so that it can start molding to the clutch. When you change a clutch and do not resurface the flywheel, that's the same as padwacking a brake job. 1/2 of the main friction surface is disabled. It's not going to grip like it should, and it also will most definately slip when you get on it.

Your flywheel is as glazed as they come. It's shiney, black and brown and scarred by heat. You will probly have problems with slipping soon after the clutch brakes into the smooth pattern provided by your flywheel.

I posted a DIY which may help. Check the DIY section. I'd be worried though mang.
Old 10-21-2007 | 08:55 AM
Banned

the flywheel was pretty much fine.. nothing to worry about. it wasn't warped, had no cracks, and had a very even surface. woulda probably been a good idea to resurface it just for kicks, but there was no time. resurfacing a flywheel is not always a neccesity. his first 150 miles, he has had no problems with it at all. you wont lose 1/2 the grip if you don't resurface your flywheel..

there is NO problem with his clutch engagement.. so i don't know where you understood his was slipping.

southbend makes very good clutch systems.. and thats the FIRST negative i have ever heard about one.. theres plenty of possible reasons that its slipping besides it being a shitty clutch. could have sent him the wrong pressure plate.. grease could have gotten on the contact surfaces after install (common problem). also, clutchs aren't rated in whp, they are rated in ft. lbs..

southbend is not rebranding or just spraying the pressure plate.. southbend is a real company with a REAL background. not like XTD or gripforce. southbend clutchs are quality and regardless of any problems that tibbytib is having, caj is running abotu stock power, so there would be nothing at all to worry about.

my only contributions to the pics are my f***ed up thumb and caj (the genius) trying to bench press the trans up into the car (which was like 3 feet in the air)

Old 10-21-2007 | 10:25 AM

sadly the last two tranny installs i did, i did by myself.

i just slide the trans under the car, and lift it by hand from the top of the engine bay, its kind of a b****, but i didnt have help. our trans is hella light, and most any male should be able to do it.

and ive also been running the southbends, and was i think the very 1st one on this site to do so. never had any issues, and have them in every one of my current cars. and theres a reason for that. ive been to there shop in indiana personally, and have seen the actual shop they build these in. amazingly, they do build them, and sorry redz, i didnt see any cans of spray paint.

just cause one person has a problem, and only one, usually means they didnt break it in, or they just abused the shit out of it. ive heard more act failures then southbend. there is no way to talk shit about a co. when you dont even have any personal experience.