Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Need New Tranny??

Old 03-24-2005 | 09:13 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default Need New Tranny??

So this is what I get for being cocky:
Long story short, I raced an Accord V6 today after work, went to shift into 3rd gear, released clutch, hit rev limiter, somethings not right.

1. Can only shift into 3rd gear while engine is running
2. Can only get into Neutral sometimes
3. Cannot even get the shifter into 1st or 2nd, no grinding
4. Can only get shifter to get into any other gear when engine is off, and only sometimes
5. Nothing leaking
6. Heard no noise when happened
7. linkage seems intact
8. Cannot see inspection plate
9. Rod that linkage attatches to at tranny seems stuck on something inside of tranny.
10. Replaced clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing in October.
11. Sick of this Korean POS Mad
12. Love my other Korean Wink
13. Cell phone won't charge
14. Gonna be walking to work from now on
15. It's a '98 Hyundai Tiburon with a 5 speed manual tranny

Your thoughts..............
Old 03-24-2005 | 11:45 PM

Well, I could give ya all kinds of mumbo jumbo and tests to do, but it sure sounds like you bent/broke the Shift fork for 1/2 gear.

Hyundai trannies are cheap. Look at RedZman. He's a Tranny and cheap.
Oh sorry, back on topic.

Hyundai Manual Transmissions are cheap. Start calling your local junkyards and buy yourself a used manual. It will be cheaper to swap it out, than it will be to take it somehwere to get repaired.
Old 03-25-2005 | 07:38 AM

^^ The shift fork was suggested from someone on www.roclife.org, my local forum. Are there any other trannys that will bolt on?? Such as a 1.8l, elantra tranny, or later model (2nd gen)?? Also, if so, do they have different gear ratios?? Minds well make it better while I have it out. I'm gonna start pulling it today.
Old 03-25-2005 | 01:09 PM

any beta tranny should bolt right up, however i think if you use a beta II tranny, you will have to customize the mount a lil, jaws021 has done this.....he is the tranny king i believe.......

and elantra trannies have diff gear ratios
Old 03-28-2005 | 02:38 PM

the transmission from ANY 97+ Elantra or ANY 97+ Tiburon (I4)

If you reuse your exisitng transmission mounts/brackets, it will fit with no issues. I've installed a 99 Tibby Tranny in an elantraXD and an ElantraXD tranny in a 99 Tibby (Both are LONG stories).

The Elantra transmisisons will give you better fuel economy, but slower acceleration (theoretical better top speed).
If I remember right the early 1.8L Trannies only have a different 5th gear, so it will lower your freeway/distance mileage, but not otherwise affect acceleration.
Old 03-28-2005 | 02:42 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

hey random on my car 2000 elantra i have a mechanical speedo drive
can i swap to the xd tranny?
Old 03-28-2005 | 05:04 PM

QUOTE (Random)
If I remember right the early 1.8L Trannies only have a different 5th gear, so it will lower your freeway/distance mileage, but not otherwise affect acceleration.

Now that's interesting. It only affects 5th gear? So if I were to put a 1.8 tranny in my 2.0 2000 Tib, I wouldn't be sitting at 4000 RPM when going close to 80mph like I am now? That's one that that bothers me about long interstate drives, and makes me wish I had a 6th gear.
Old 03-28-2005 | 06:06 PM

QUOTE (faithofadragon)
hey random on my car 2000 elantra i have a mechanical speedo drive
can i swap to the xd tranny?

Yeah, you bring over your speedo gear/assembly. You can't reuse the XD unit, they are interchangeable parts. so you can run a Tibby tranny using the XD electronic speedo gear/sensor or use the Tibby mechanical unit on the XD tranny.

QUOTE (fonseca)
Now that's interesting. It only affects 5th gear? So if I were to put a 1.8 tranny in my 2.0 2000 Tib, I wouldn't be sitting at 4000 RPM when going close to 80mph like I am now? That's one that that bothers me about long interstate drives, and makes me wish I had a 6th gear.

You'd be sitting at about 4300 @ 80mph. The 1.8L is geared higher in 5th than the 2.0L. (hence the LOWER MILEAGE)
If you want to lower the RPM's at freeway speeds look into an Elantra Tranny.
Old 03-28-2005 | 10:21 PM

You'd be sitting at about 4300 @ 80mph. The 1.8L is geared higher in 5th than the 2.0L. (hence the LOWER MILEAGE)
If you want to lower the RPM's at freeway speeds look into an Elantra Tranny.

So, all the 2.0l are geared the same??
Old 03-29-2005 | 06:22 AM

All 2.0 tiburon manual transmissions are the same. The Elantra has even higher gears that allow that car to acheive better fuel economy and quieter highway cruising.