Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Need New Spark Plugs, Worth Upgrading?

Old 01-24-2006, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon SE

alright thanks guys, ill go with the PRD wires for sure and probably give the iriduim plugs a shot
Old 01-30-2006, 06:24 PM

I'm using cheap NGK copper plugs, and I'm going to pull them tomorrow to see how they have fared after 6,000 miles. I've been searching for the part number for the pre-gapped plugs that Nissan carries, which has been mentioned here so many times, but I can't find it now. mad.gif Dernit.

These looks interesting, but I haven't found any reviews anywhere. I wonder how they compare to NGK wires, which are about the same price.

I don't know if the ground comments are applicable in this topic, but I do know that my engine needs a better ground. The OEM one is small, and mine shows a lot of corrosion. I have new wires all cut to length and terminals clamped and soldered, just never got around to installing them. I'm trying to eliminate an occasional rough idle/acceleration myself, so it's on the to-do list.

Update:

I checked my spark plugs today, they all look great.

The resistance of my current OEM wires seems fine though. Almost identical to the numbers posted by someone else last Summer.

1. 3.24kohm
2. 2.48kohm
3. 2.08kohm
4. 1.64kohm

What I find strange are the numbers listed on webtech:

1. 15.3kohm
2. 12.4kohm
3. 10.7kohm
4. 8.8kohm

Those seem rather high. Maybe they are max values before mandatory replacement.

Resistance should not be higher than 10,000OHM-per foot of cable. If resistance is higher, replace the cable.

Anyone have numbers for new wires?
Old 01-31-2006, 04:36 AM

Every oil change schedule.
5000kms.

I change the wires and spark plugs to ngk iridium.
And it works wonders, everything improves idling, acceleration etc.
Plus I get it dyno tuned to check timing, fuel, ignition.

ngk iridium and wires.
I buy them from ebay supplier performancetuners.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:36 AM

Every oil change schedule.
5000kms.

I change the wires and spark plugs to ngk iridium.
And it works wonders, everything improves idling, acceleration etc.
Plus I get it dyno tuned to check timing, fuel, ignition.

ngk iridium and wires.
I buy them from ebay supplier performancetuners.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:00 PM

hey thanks for that renante, was gona order them this weekend, can save some cash now too smile.gif
Old 01-31-2006, 06:00 PM

hey thanks for that renante, was gona order them this weekend, can save some cash now too smile.gif
Old 01-31-2006, 09:14 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

those are maximum numbers fonsica. you got the same numbers i came up with on mine. the spark plugs at O'Rileys have DOUBLE the resistance our stockers have.

DO NOT BUY SPARK PLUG WIRES FROM O'RILEYS

reante: have you taken any readings on yours?
Old 01-31-2006, 09:14 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

those are maximum numbers fonsica. you got the same numbers i came up with on mine. the spark plugs at O'Rileys have DOUBLE the resistance our stockers have.

DO NOT BUY SPARK PLUG WIRES FROM O'RILEYS

reante: have you taken any readings on yours?
Old 01-31-2006, 10:59 PM

So it was you then, I saved your numbers from that thread.

I'm not sure there's any compelling reason to upgrade. I'd like to see some real life resistance numbers before buying too. Peope like to say you can't have too much spark, and that may be true, but you can have more than you need. As long as all the fuel is igniting, it doesn't matter from what I understand. You could have quintuple-pronged iridium plugs and carbon nanotube gold-plated ultra-shielded wires delivering l337 voltage for a spark so amazing you'll want a window on your engine, and you wouldn't improve performance one bit over properly functioning OEM wires and plugs. Assuming the OEM setup is burning 100% of the fuel that is.

But I could be wrong. Maybe the aftermarket plugs and wires work better at certain RPMs (like when you give the engine more gas than it needs after switching gears early), or really do burn more gas, and I'm sure they're more durable. But I've been looking at a lot of brands, and there's so much snake oil to sort through. A lot of the claims are pure BS. I am interested in those triple core wires on ebay, but there's like five people total out of dozens of car forums I have searched that have used them. So I'll likely stick with NGK.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:59 PM

So it was you then, I saved your numbers from that thread.

I'm not sure there's any compelling reason to upgrade. I'd like to see some real life resistance numbers before buying too. Peope like to say you can't have too much spark, and that may be true, but you can have more than you need. As long as all the fuel is igniting, it doesn't matter from what I understand. You could have quintuple-pronged iridium plugs and carbon nanotube gold-plated ultra-shielded wires delivering l337 voltage for a spark so amazing you'll want a window on your engine, and you wouldn't improve performance one bit over properly functioning OEM wires and plugs. Assuming the OEM setup is burning 100% of the fuel that is.

But I could be wrong. Maybe the aftermarket plugs and wires work better at certain RPMs (like when you give the engine more gas than it needs after switching gears early), or really do burn more gas, and I'm sure they're more durable. But I've been looking at a lot of brands, and there's so much snake oil to sort through. A lot of the claims are pure BS. I am interested in those triple core wires on ebay, but there's like five people total out of dozens of car forums I have searched that have used them. So I'll likely stick with NGK.