Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Need more pics and info. on HLA's and MLA's

Old 06-06-2002, 03:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring
Default Need more pics and info. on HLA's and MLA's

Does anyone have a better view of the HLA's other than what's on HMA Service? Photos preferably. Does anyone know how these are set in the block and if they can easily be changed out when they go bad. Are the HLA's interchangable with MLA's or is there a change to other areas to accomadate the MLA's? I've seen the tops of them but haven't tried messing with them. Supposedly they go bad if you drive over 3k rpm's, but honestly, who stays below that? The Accent GT I used to have had a bad clicking noise from damaged HLA's and I would like to change them out if they do the same in my 01 Tib. Also, is it better to have MLA's if you want to rev higher/change the rev limiter?

Thanks.
Old 06-06-2002, 04:14 AM
Red

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.hyundaiproject.com

Go look under my engine assembly page. Plenty of pictures...
Old 06-06-2002, 04:29 AM

MLA= Mechanical Lash Adjustor?
Old 06-06-2002, 04:33 AM

Vehicle: 02 Elantra

I had the 99 elantra with same engine. I ran that car hard for 60,000 miles with no issues. At the autocrosses I found that I was getting oil starvation and the engine would tick after my run. A guy came up to me after and said he had the same problem with his bmw m3 and had to use an extra 1/2 quart of oil. I did the same thing and never had a problem again.
Old 06-06-2002, 09:35 AM

Well Yeah, because on autocross when you do those hard turns, it push the oil up against the side of the oil pan away from the oil pump feed. So the pump cannot get any oil for a second or two.

Baffles are suppose to prevent this, but it does not help much. I believe the rally team installed an extar baffle PLUS is running with a bit more oil. You could do the same, just buy a new oil pan, get a 2nd or 3rd baffle installed, then swap oil pans. They are cheap I think under $30.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Thanks for the info guys.

I guess they can be pulled easily from their seats, so if I had to get to them for maintenance, it wouldn't be that bad at all. smile.gif
Would the HLA's be better for high reving than the MLA's provided you maintain them a little more? Also, I heard that overfilling the engine with oil can be harmful. Is this true?
Old 06-07-2002, 08:45 PM

Yeah, overfilling can be bad.

I am not sure what all the autocross guys do. I know some will autocross, witth he extra oil, then drain it off when they are done.

MLAs are better for high reving applications as far as I know. I dont know if anyones realy looked into it since the beta does not make much power after 6500 let alone say 8000.

Keymotorsports has is beta up to 8000rpm. Maybe you should ask them what they use.