Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

N/A horsepower

Old 06-10-2002, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N/A horsepower

How much power could i see if i stay N/A with my 1.8l? I plan on going with...SR CAI, Header, hi-flow cat, Type R ecu, BBTB, BBIM and Apexi S-afc..how much power do you guys think I'll get out of the motor?? Is 200hp N/A possible?

Which are better 4-2-1 header or 4-1 header??

Thnx
Old 06-10-2002, 09:54 AM
Red

In theory, the 1.8L engine is more capable of revving high because of the longer rods and shorter stroke. I say "in theory" because nobody has really bothered to prove this either way.

200 wheel horsepower on a BETA engine is pushing it. I have seen absolutely zero dyno sheets from any BETA engine making over 150 wheel horsepower normally aspirated. There are several people "claiming" 190-this and 200-that but there has NEVER been any proof.

From all reputable sources, the BETA engines do not put out significant amounts of normally aspirated power. They are designed and engineered for torque and brute force, and as such lean much more in the direction of abnormal aspiration.

But let's play devil's advocate for a moment...

You could rip out the stock pistons and replace them with a set of dome-top ones for something around 12:1 or even 13:1 compression. Have the head hog-ported to insane proportions, even so far as to have the coolant veins welded to give you more room on the exhaust side.

Then drop in some uber-lumpy cams, oversized valves, better valvesprings and retainers, a full individual throttlebody setup, a 4-1 header with a 2.5" dump-pipe (no cat, no muffler, it just dumps to atmosphere under the passenger door), strap on a set of underdrive pulleys and a 7-pound flywheel.

Of course you'll need to slap in a fully standalone engine management system, wind it up to about 8000-8300 (probably the MAX that one of these blocks will deal with) and spend a few days on the dyno.

When you're finished, you MIGHT have a car that will produce 190 wheel horsepower. It also wouldn't idle below 1500 RPM's, wouldn't be street legal or pass emissions in half the states of the union, would be fairly "unfriendly" to drive on the street due to peaky revband, would eat gas like a V8 and would probably also only run in the high 13's at absolute best. We're also talking about a $12K+ buildup for all the custom parts.

So, um, the short answer would be "yes, you probably could." The longer answer would be "but why would you care?"

Just IMHO that is,
Old 06-10-2002, 12:42 PM

Thanks Red....now some more questions...

which is better 4-1 or 4-2-1 headers?
I think 4-1 gives more power at higher revs...right??

here is wut I think I might have as my set up...SR CAI, 4-1 Header, Pullies, High flow cat, BBTB, BBIM, new pistons, rods, S-AFC, possible new cams...how much power do u think i could squeeze out...maybe 160??

I'm also gonna run w/ nitrous, but I want to get to about 190-200 before i use the juice...
Old 06-10-2002, 01:30 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX - now 2006 Infiniti M35 Sport

I did the search for you...
go to the following:

http://www.teamsr.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.c...c;f=16;t=000691
Old 06-11-2002, 08:47 AM

Thanks Josh