Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

My "Top Secret" Ram Air

Old 07-26-2002, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHere did you put the IAT sensor???
Old 07-26-2002, 01:41 AM

Vehicle: 02 Elantra

It's in the elbow if you look real close
Old 07-26-2002, 01:49 AM

nice intake jongtr

Try taking out the headlight as well during track days to ram more cold air into that sucker
Old 07-26-2002, 02:01 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

ive done the same kinda setup on a friends car, we found that on average it would take off .5 seconds off 0-60, and .8 on 1/4 mile times with the light out.
you can just feel the extra torque
Old 07-26-2002, 02:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

cadbury:
ive done the same kinda setup on a friends car, we found that on average it would take off .5 seconds off 0-60, and .8 on 1/4 mile times with the light out.
you can just feel the extra torque
I wouldn't say it made that big of a difference. Going by the times we had before versus how we ran against each other on the street with it, it probably bettered my time by .2 at the most over the crappy K&N setup I had.
Old 07-26-2002, 02:50 AM

Fast.Shark:
Have you attempted the ever popular CAI in fender/fog light area (so we can get a feel for a comparison btween those two setups)

Thanks

$55.00 shipped 2 day UPS.
This set up is probably better then fender well/fog light set ups when the turn signal is out. But the fender/fog set up would probably be better then when the turn signal is in. It would be a trade off.
Old 07-26-2002, 03:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I go to the track all the time so it's worth it to me. tongue.gif

I bought the filter for $39 at the local rice shop. You can get it for the same price online but you'd have to pay extra for shipping. I think this filter flows more than any other filter out. They all have a 3* opening and it matches my mirror finished strutbar and stock paint perfectly. wink
I still need to raise the filter with a bracket to align it better with the hole but I'm lazy.

Old 07-26-2002, 03:44 AM
Guy

Jon...we're going to have to hit up RCR next week!
My car should be ready by Wednesday (7/31/02)...can't wait to show it to you...plus I want to get a closer look at that spiffy gauge pod you've got going on in your glove box!
Peace
Old 07-26-2002, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The gains you are seeing is more than likely simply from the cold air rather than any *ram* air effect.

In order for any *ram air* effect to happen, there has to be a pressurized box or area. Since the whole engine compartment is open, there is no pressurized area. I would not call this a *ram air* intake, but rather a Warm Air intake with a *cold* air option by removing the turnsignal.

You might be able to get a *limited* ram air effect by installing a 1' to 1.5' extension on your CAI and actually mounting the filter out in front of the car out the turn signal hole. However the style/design of that filter is going to have air route around/over it rather than *into* it. If you were to mount an air horn/trumpet out that hole, and have it route to a small air tight box that contained the filter, then you could claim *ram air*.

Also, Foam filters do flow more air than their cotton/gauze (K&N Style) counterparts, but they also do a much worse job of filtering the air. The reason why HKS filters are so expensive? They use 3 different foam layers to trap as much dirt as possible. Does the Reactive copy do that? Run your finger on the inside of your CAI. How much dirt/grime comes off? That's the stuff going in your engine, and also coating your MAF.
Old 07-26-2002, 03:51 PM

Whered you get that piping? my piping is a stupid Weapon-Rice (Was just getting into modifications, ack)