Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

My "Top Secret" Ram Air

Old 07-25-2002, 10:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring
Default My "Top Secret" Ram Air

OK, here is a brief explanation of my setup. I use to have the K&N Cone filter on my MAF sensor. After creating my new intake system, I found that the old setup just plain sucked (or not well enough). I wanted some sort of ram air setup but couldn't find a way to make one for streetuse without going through a lot of trouble with holes in my hood. So, I moved my battery over a little and ran the tube straight to the hole behind the corner light. Then, when I go to the track, I just take off the one screw and there's my ram air. It still feels great with the light on, getting protection from every side and grabbing air from a hole leading to the bumper.
I have not tested this at the track yet but I have on the street. I immediatly felt the increase in torque at the low end. As for the *ram air* effect, Sharkvelocity and I went for a joyride at 11p.m. with my turnsignal off. He has repetedly beaten me at the track in the high end. This time, as we excelerated past 50 m.p.h., I slowly crept on him, proving the gains in h.p.
I still need to raise the filter a little to align it better with the hole. Also, if I wasn't going turbo soon and was going to use this setup permanently, then I would cut the frame to enlarge that hole more.

So, here it is:

Old 07-25-2002, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good!How hard was it to move the battery?
Old 07-25-2002, 10:51 PM

Nice Work!

You might want to consider constructing some type of heat shield around the filter.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:57 PM

I bent the lip on the left side of the battery to make it flat, very easy. Then slid the battery over, it still uses the factory clamp.

It really doesn't need a heatsheild because it's the farthest distance from the engine you can get. It's protected somewhat by the battery, the hood, the fender, and open to the hole in the bumper. If I wanted to create a box around it, it wouldn't be that hard at all, but then it would just cover up my nice filter that matches my factory paint so well. tongue.gif
Old 07-25-2002, 11:29 PM

Vehicle: 02 Elantra

That is a good setup with a nice straight shot to the T/B. It really is not a ram air but it is close. You are getting a nice blast of air right at the filter this way. A filter in the fender will do the same thing with the air from the foglight hole blowing right into it, but in the fender the air has to turn around more bends to get to the T/B. Great idea!
Old 07-25-2002, 11:43 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS

Looks good, let us know what happens at the track...
Old 07-25-2002, 11:59 PM

Two questions:

1) Where did you get that air filter? As I've been wanting one for a while now...but ebay never seems to have them....or im searching incorrectly for them.

2) What about gain's with the corner light inplace? Or are you gonna ride without the corners? (illegal, I think)

Thanks

URL's work best
Old 07-26-2002, 12:12 AM

That looks very similar to our design.
How secure is the battery by only being held by the edge?

Old 07-26-2002, 12:26 AM

Fast.shark:

1. Just find a local parts store that carries Ractive products and have them order #SF400. It's only $39. It copies the HKS design but the HKS filter is $90 and up for basically the same thing except Ractive makes different colors.
Here's an online store: http://www.carmedia1.com/index.html?target...html&lang=en-us

2. Like I said, I only take off the light for track use and late night joyrides. tongue.gif It's no problem taking it off and putting it back on.(less than a minute) I still found more torque with the light on over the K&N setup.

Jaws:

My battery is only moved like 2-3*. It still uses the stock clamp and is held just as well as it was stock.

I didn't like that stock rubber elbow, which is why I made it like this. I also don't have access to mandrel bent pipes, (just Autozone's civic intake special). I like the intake much better polished than with rubber elbows. All I need now is to get rid of that MAFS. rolleyes.gif
Old 07-26-2002, 12:57 AM

Have you attempted the ever popular CAI in fender/fog light area (so we can get a feel for a comparison btween those two setups)

Thanks

$55.00 shipped 2 day UPS.