Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

My project engine questions?

Old 10-30-2002 | 03:17 AM

Default My project engine questions?

Ok, I'm buying a 2.0L Beta engine with all the trimmings (minus pumps, ac & gen.) and only 7k clocked.

First, my uncle works at a machine shop so the IM & TB are going for boring.

Second, I just got my 4-2-1 headers in last week and they are going to the ceramic coater with the IM and CAI.

Third, Planning on new valve springs and cam gears.

Fourth, an S-AFC is then nessecary to make her run right.

OK with all that said what am I missing? Keep in mind I don't want to go with larger pistons, turbo or SC, possibly NOS later.

Is more fuel required at this point, for example larger injectors, fuel rail, pump, regulator? or can stock handle it?

What else? any thoughts? Random any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

[ October 30, 2002, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: QUIKTIB ]
Old 10-30-2002 | 03:19 AM

Quiktib,

Get a ported head. I am doing the same thing as you. My ported head should be arriving some time next week. I too am going to N/A route.

Where are you powder coating your stuff?

Rope
Old 10-30-2002 | 04:08 AM

I got very lucky, there is a powder/ceramic coating company 5 miles from my house, and they are doing it pretty cheap, in my mind at least, 200 for the header and IM.

Porting a head should be something simple for a machine shop, right?

What are the pros/cons to a ported head?
Old 10-30-2002 | 10:25 PM

head porting needs to be done by some one experienced in it. your opening the holes a bit to allow better air flow but at the same time you need to beware that too much and your cutting into cooling/oil veins etc.
Old 10-30-2002 | 10:36 PM

Ropeman1000:
My ported head should be arriving some time next week.
Ropeman1000, did you send off your head or did you buy one already ported? Either way where and how much did it cost?

I still need some answers on my fuel questions (read original post). Random, Red, Brendan, anyone please.

Also, am I correct in the mods I need to have done or am I forgeting something?
Old 10-31-2002 | 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Cam gears? There's no way to run cam gears on our motor. We only have ONE cam GEAR.(note the use of singular). You would be advancing and retarding the intake and exhaust cam together. Also, the only way to use cam gears properly is to dyno tune them. SO unless you planned on spending $200+ in dyno time to tune the cams...they are a rice accessory. (90% of cam gears are either set at 0 degrees or set at what "their buddy" said works best)

An S-AFC is then nessecary to make her run right.
Unless you go with widly aggressive cams, it should not be NEEDED, but reccomended. Our cars run rather rich from the factory, using the S-AFC to lean them out actually will produce more power. Again, to be done right, it needs to be done on a dyno. Expect about $125 an hour for dyno tuning time, and plan on 2 hours. They might be done sooner, but plan on 2 hours.

Is more fuel required at this point, for example larger injectors, fuel rail, pump, regulator? or can stock handle it?
The stock fuel system should handle this just fine.

the ported head would be reccomended. Hyundai's heads really suck for N/A airflow and can use some help!
Old 10-31-2002 | 01:04 AM

Greetings all,

My head porting is being done by onpol's mechanic in Puerto Rico. With shipping the ported head cost me 650. He is port and polishing, giving it a 3 valve angle job.

Rope
Old 10-31-2002 | 02:23 AM

Random:
Sorry, I was typing faster then I was thinking. I meant "cams", like the GT cam for instance.

[b]
An S-AFC is then nessecary to make her run right.
Unless you go with widly aggressive cams, it should not be NEEDED, but reccomended. Our cars run rather rich from the factory, using the S-AFC to lean them out actually will produce more power. Again, to be done right, it needs to be done on a dyno. Expect about $125 an hour for dyno tuning time, and plan on 2 hours. They might be done sooner, but plan on 2 hours.
Yeah, I was planning on finding the closest S-AFC retailer that installs and just take it there. If I don't have to drive for 6 hours that is. But, if you don't think I'll need one, its out of the plan.

[b]
The stock fuel system should handle this just fine.
Thanks, I wasn't for sure it could. smile.gif

[b]
the ported head would be reccomended. Hyundai's heads really suck for N/A airflow and can use some help!
Done. Minus S-AFC and fuel upgrade. Add ported head!

Thanks to everyone, you've helped me out alot.

Peace.
Old 10-31-2002 | 03:57 AM

if i'm not mistaken, random, don't betas suck for n/a period?
Old 10-31-2002 | 03:59 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Sorry, just to clarifiy a point.

The SAFC is not "needed" but it is "reccomended"

With similar N/A mods to what you have planned, Red was able to obtain an extra 8 WHP by dyno tuning the S-AFC.

Your car will run without the SAFC, but you will make more power WITH the SAFC.

[ October 31, 2002, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Random ]