Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

MSD DIS2 programable help and advice?

Old 03-28-2005 | 08:40 PM

Default MSD DIS2 programable help and advice?

so I ordered a msd dis programable.....I need to know a few things did some searcing and dident realy get straight answers.

1. do I need the tach adapter (my carr is a 99 auto)
2. do I need the cam sync senser
3. does anyone have this and/or tuned this via laptop (looking for tips and pointers on tuning)

I have the program on my laptop now and have been studing it as I have 4 to 6 weeks untill the unit arives and is installed. Its fairly easy but im having some issues.
Old 03-29-2005 | 10:55 AM

If you can, cancel the order. You're going to be limited to +/- 7 degrees of timing adjustment or you'll trigger an OBD-2 misfire code and send the ECU into "safe" (limp) mode.

You can do the same thing with an SMT-6 for a lot cheaper, and gain control over fueling.

The only way you can make the DIS-2 Programmable work is to remove the stock ECU and replace it with some form of stand-alone. Which, more than likely, have it's own timing controls, making the DIS-2 Programmable useless again.
Old 03-29-2005 | 11:01 AM

Fixing this timing thing will be my next project... All I need now is a dual trace scope.

What kind of signals does the msd-dis2 accept? The crank sensor is a magnetic type, cam sensor is a hall effect type, pins 16 and 44 respectively on the ECU.
Old 03-30-2005 | 07:24 PM

well im getting the dis2 prgmble for 625 $ CDN.....Is the smt6 cheeper than that......and also can any speed shop locate one to order for me or is it a internet only part. I just canceled my order but still want to order the smt6 through them. as my friend owns the shop an kinda feel bad for canceling the order.
Old 03-30-2005 | 08:15 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

Yeah man, the SMT6 is like half that. You can get it from Tim @ speed-factor if worse comes to worse, but your guy should be able to get it.

It's made by Perfect Power
http://www.perfectpower.com/products/smt6.asp
Old 03-31-2005 | 01:00 PM

SuPaDuPa-
The SMT-6 Runs about $150-$300 American, depending on where you get it, and if it's new or used. MUCH cheaper than the DIS-2 Prog. (Runs about $425 American)

Trust me, you'll be MUCH happier with the SMT-6.
Old 03-31-2005 | 06:43 PM

hey so you wont need a msd with the smt6 how much hp can you push out of it before you need better spark my goal is a little more than 300whp
Old 04-01-2005 | 03:41 PM

its on its way....ordered today....do I need to get any extra parts or anything to install it? I have a laptop and the car thats about it..lol