Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

MRT Cams

Old 07-03-2002 | 04:09 PM

Default MRT Cams

I have decided to go ahead with the custom ground billet cams for $260.

There has been a lot of discussion on suggested aftermarket specs for the 2.0L. I have the 97 1.8L Beta in Australia with 4-2-1 headers, cat-back, ram pod and HVE Bored Throttle Body. I am staying N/A.

Assuming I want as aggressive a top end and mid range as possible without overly affecting bottom end and idle, what specs would be recommended?

I also have an aftermarket chip which will be dynoed to suit.

Many Thanks.
Old 07-03-2002 | 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

If you want to keep your bottom end, and don't want to sacrafice idle quality, keep the cams around 250 degrees.

Look into the specs that RPW and HVE use on their various cams, and you should get an idea of what specs MRT should use.

Usually, with N/A cams, they are a trade off. Low end losses for high end power. It's up to you to decide how much loss is livable.

For a budget alternative, you might consider the Intake cam from the XD Elantra and 2003 I4 Tiburon. It is just a tad more duration that the stock unit, but has much more lift. At about $125 US funds, it might be the compramise you are looking for.
Old 07-05-2002 | 02:33 AM

So the cam off the new 2003 tibs, for say,
the V6 GT cam will fit into a 2001 tibby?...if so what kind of gains can be expected?....I currently have the GT cam that is already offered by shark racing, but I plan to "motor out" the car, so what would be the best cams to get, which will produce the most power?....thanks!
Old 07-05-2002 | 03:24 AM

Read what Random said again.

"For a budget alternative, you might consider the Intake cam from the XD Elantra and 2003 I4 Tiburon. "

But you say you already have the XD cam? That is the same as the GT cam. Motoring out is useless in the BETA, you will looking at 190whp, and thats with head work and high duration cams, and idling at around 2000rpms.
Old 07-06-2002 | 09:50 PM

so what other mos will be good for speed? I have ZEX, 4-2-1 headers, custom CAI, GT cam, fuel pressure regulator, exhaust ...so getting better pistons,head, sprigs, rods etc. won't give much horsepower?
Old 07-07-2002 | 06:32 AM

No, they only strengthen the engine for when you do add stuff that makes more horsepower. Well, head work can make some power that's worth spending money on. But usually after most other N/A mods.