Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Miss a gear while shifting.. what happens?

Old 01-24-2004 | 01:55 PM

So I'm driving along shifting into third, driving fast as usual, and I put it into third (I think it's all the way in, but it's only half way in) let off the clutch and give 'er some gas, and a bad noise happens and I realize that I didn't have the stick all the way into the gear. This happens to me every now and then usually when I'm in a hurry. How much damage is it putting on my clutch etc?
Old 01-24-2004 | 02:35 PM

it grinds.. nothing will happen at this moment but ware and tear down the road will cause syncros to go...try not ot do it again.... and also try not to redline every gear.. this will help the engine and tranny alot and for a better life..
Old 01-24-2004 | 03:59 PM

everytime you miss a gear.. you hear a grinding noise. this is metal scraping metal.. eventually, if you do it enough, it will wear the teeth off the gears and ruin your syncros.. also, those little dust particles of metal are now suspended in the hydraulic fluid of your tranny.. and will continue to add wear and tear to EVERYTHING they touch.. As Superman said.. try not to grind, do not go for full throttle redline shifts all the time, and drain and change the oil in your tranny at the recommended intervals.
Old 01-24-2004 | 05:24 PM

QUOTE (BluShark)
So I'm driving along shifting into third, driving fast as usual, and I put it into third (I think it's all the way in, but it's only half way in) let off the clutch and give 'er some gas, and a bad noise happens and I realize that I didn't have the stick all the way into the gear. This happens to me every now and then usually when I'm in a hurry. How much damage is it putting on my clutch etc?

Your laptop on your passenger seat will say "Danger to Manifold" and then bolts and washers will start to fall from underneath your passenger side's dash, and then the pass. side floor drops off, hahaha wink.gif lol.gif Just kidding, just watched that scene from TFTF

Anyway, like the others have said, you're not actually grinding your gears, but the syncros, and eventually if you do it LOTS, you will need new syncros, changing your tranny fluid more often will help to prolong it.
Old 01-24-2004 | 07:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (KayJai)
Your laptop on your passenger seat will say "Danger to Manifold" and then bolts and washers will start to fall from underneath your passenger side's dash, and then the pass. side floor drops off, hahaha wink.gif lol.gif Just kidding, just watched that scene from TFTF

ROTFLMGDFAO!
Old 01-24-2004 | 08:09 PM

I think I really gotta watch that movie now.. that was far too surreal.
Old 01-24-2004 | 10:51 PM

That same thing will happen to me on occasion. Even when I'm not driving aggressively. I think it has something to do with the car. I'm sure some of you other Tiburon owners have experienced this. Now I know when it happens and I don't let off the clutch. I just have to wait until it will pop into gear. It's weird
Old 01-25-2004 | 09:39 AM

unfortunately the synchros in our tranny suck.. ive experienced a similiar problem frequently at the track when going from 1st to 2nd. Even though my clutch is in if i shift too fast the synchros grind.. oh well ill just rebuild my tranny eventually
Old 01-25-2004 | 10:23 AM

Just curious, how much does it cost to replace synchros, and how do you know when you need to replace them? And since I got this car, i've been taking advantage of the fact that it isn't an auto tranny, and I haven't changed the transmission fluid yet, what are the recommended intervals for a fluid change? And what is the best type of fluid to get.
Old 01-25-2004 | 02:26 PM

to replace the syncros.. you have to pull the entire tranny apart. They sit between the gear sets.