Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Major Tranny Issue...

Old 06-02-2005, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...and some people HAVE had them. I've seen one Beta1 locally that had crank walk, and we got 2 here. Maybe there's more.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:33 PM

Do you know if they either had stronger clutches installed, or if they had their transmissions installed/removed in the past before the crankwalk issue?
Old 06-02-2005, 04:29 PM

Im glad that out of all the betas me and random had seen, only one had crankwalk...

I wonder how many people with stock clutches have had crankwalk and havent realized it.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:36 PM

Well I got my car back.. and guess what..
It runs nice, but I can't "play" with it for 5k miles.
and BONUS! I have A/C! YAY! laugh.gif
However, there is still a problem with the tranny.
02.gif
1st to 2nd gear grinding at RPMs higher than ~3000 RPM. AJ said he's going to talk with his Hyundai Rep and see if they will just replace the whole transmission. He said he noticed the grind this time that he wasn't able to before.

But this grinding was happening before I replaced the clutch. The whole crankwalk happened after I replaced the clutch. So as far as if I had it beforehand... I don't know. My clutch wasn't grabbing strong enough at that point to really make any difference.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:51 PM

stupid tranny. Hopefully you will get it fixed/changed man!
Old 06-02-2005, 09:20 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

1-2 Grind is probably normal... the difference between 1st and 2nd gear is pretty big, and the synchros are going to get worn down.

Mine doesn't grind, but they are getting a tad worn... and the tranny only has 15k on it.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:23 PM

Something it grinds so hard that you can't shift into second and that's not acceptable when one is racing.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:43 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Once I saw how the car was geared, I never take it above 3500RPM in first, except at the track, which has been five or six runs total.

Taking it to 6000RPM+ in an extremely short first gear, then to a moderately long second gear, puts a lot of strain on the 1-2 synchros and gears.... even on perfect shifts. Its just something that can't be avoided, only prevented.

All the Tib owners that try and drive the car fast off of stop lights are probably why 90% of the trannies grind that 1-2. And no Hyundai dealer is going to warranty a synchro, because they'll see how hard it was strained, and put it on too aggressive driving. Unless you find a nice Hyundai dealer.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:15 PM

QUOTE (Random @ Jun 2 2005, 05:33 PM)
Do you know if they either had stronger clutches installed, or if they had their transmissions installed/removed in the past before the crankwalk issue?

Pretty sure that it was a stock engine. I found that engine for a friend since he wanted to build an N/A Beta, and found out that the crankshaft was dead when we opened it up. However, our guess was that the trust washer was installed backwards, so it's not really the engine's fault wink1.gif

It still sucks, tho; it's kinda reassuring to think that our engines are not crankwalk-prone, but it still sucks to think that their might be more of those engines with backwards trust washer. Oh well smile.gif
Old 06-03-2005, 12:26 AM

QUOTE (hamhead @ Jun 3 2005, 03:43 AM)
Once I saw how the car was geared, I never take it above 3500RPM in first, except at the track, which has been five or six runs total.

Taking it to 6000RPM+ in an extremely short first gear, then to a moderately long second gear, puts a lot of strain on the 1-2 synchros and gears.... even on perfect shifts. Its just something that can't be avoided, only prevented.

All the Tib owners that try and drive the car fast off of stop lights are probably why 90% of the trannies grind that 1-2. And no Hyundai dealer is going to warranty a synchro, because they'll see how hard it was strained, and put it on too aggressive driving. Unless you find a nice Hyundai dealer.

So Chirping 2nd gear isn't a good thing? hehe tongue.gif

AJ is a good man. I'm sure he's going to work something out for me, cause even now he was pretty worried about the tranny after he experienced the 1-2 gear grind. Since its been like that for a while, he might be worried there maybe a future problem with the gears, hence changing the whole tranny. If it works out... lol. New Block, New Clutch, New Head, New Valves, New lifters, New Tranny... hell.. my whole drivetrain is going to be brand new. *awesome* laugh.gif