Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Major Tranny Issue...

Old 05-06-2005, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I already talked with Random a little about this issue over the phone, but I thought I would throw it out there to get comments from the rest of you about this. Especially those of you who have aftermarket clutches for our cars.

Here's the issue(s).
1. Grinding 1-2nd gear above ~3500rpm
2. Sometimes the clutch engages after letting off 1inch clutch petal and kills engine, other times smooth as butter...
3. Stick in NEUTRAL, Idling at a stop, Push clutch petal down, RPMs dip. Sometimes this kills the engine. Its happened about 10 times since two days ago. It just started doing this.
4. Feel alot of vibration through the clutch pedal when depressed.
5. When slowing down, after letting off the gas, and RPMs are dropping, I cannot move the stick out of the gear until the RPMs hit that "sweet spot" where the RPMs match the drive gear I'm in.

Ok, so to explain a little more...
Issue 1.
If I'm accelerating and try to go into 2nd gear above 3500rpm, it grinds. Most of the time I cannot put it into 2nd gear if RPMs are 5500+, I have to let it rev down before I can switch gears. So no "race" driving for me... which I love to do. :unsure:

Issue 2.
Makes me look like an incompetent driver when I barely let off the clutch and it grabs killing the engine. It's weird, it doesn't always grab at the same point. Of course revving the engine always keeps it drop dying, but bleh, It's not a constant grab point which throws me off.

Issue 3.
This issue just started happening this week. I was coming to a stop, threw the stick into the neutral position, keeping the clutch pedal depressed and pressing down on the brake to stop... my engine dies. I was like, wtf is this? So I started up again, left it in neutral, with the engine idling about 900rpm, I press down on the clutch, the RPMs dip to 400-500rpm, sometimes killing the engine. Help??? It's started doing this alot recently. My last was coming off the freeway and trying to turn a corner when my engine had died, no power steering, having the car still rolling and unable to restart the car via ignition, so I just put it in second gear and left off the clutch bringing the car back to life. So weird though, it keeps dying. >>My biggest problem right now Switch out of gear > Move to lower gear > let out clutch and use clutch to slow down. But when I try to downshift, I cannot pull the stick out of the gear I'm in even when I press the clutch down fully. I have to wait until the RPMs drop, or revv the engine to allow me to pull it out of gear. It's like I never pressed the clutch pedal down to begin with. However, the car doesn't accelerate.. so it's not like its connected to the flywheel anymore, it's sticking on the tranny side???

I dunno, its confusing me. I'm going to put my car back into the shop next week and have AJ (HyundaiFixer) work on it and see if he can figure out what the problem is.

Random said that Issues with 1-2nd gear grinding seems to happen alot with our cars, and this problem becomes even more apparent after you go to an aftermarket +clutch. (Stage II, III, VI, V) Something about because it's gripping harder it's unable to let go completely. I didn't quite understand everything. (sorry Random ) If you talked with Random, you'd understand why I say that. tongue.gif Random's a walking Mechanic knowledge base, and I don't consider myself inept, but he knows shyt I don't. ^^
Old 05-06-2005, 07:50 PM

I had some of the same problems with my car, like not being able to take it out of gear. See this thread: http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=6613&hl=

Although I didn't put it in there, I did occasionally have problems stalling, though not as pronounced as you seem to have. I'd do the sharp left hand turn test and let us know the results.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:39 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Did you install the clutch yourself or did you pay someone to do it? Paying someone to do anything mechanical is probably the worst thing to do...

Issue One: Random's right... seems like a synchro problem that becomes more apparent with stronger clutch installs. Probably a problem you've alwaysy had but didn't notice.

Issue Two: Did you adjust the clutch? Although I've never heard of an inconstant grab point, that may help. Bleeding the clutch system and checking for bad parts (master cylinder, etc.) might be a good idea for all your problems as well.

Issue Three: Did you try adjusting the idle? Also do you have a CEL... kinda sounds Throttle Position Sensorish to me... hope its that small of a fix.

Issue Four: Stronger clutch, thats probably normal. My GSX and my Corvette do this, although I don't know if the way they are set up is similar to the Tibs... I'll check tomorrow for ya.

In short, I think someone f0x0red your tranny on the install.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:47 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Olds Cutlass

maybe u need to learn how to drive? haha.. just kidding. But i just got done driving a friends civic with a racing clutch in it. It is so much different,i stalled it a few times.... grabs great compared to stock.... takes a lot of getting used to.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:41 PM

QUOTE (a_gut @ May 7 2005, 01:50 AM)
I had some of the same problems with my car, like not being able to take it out of gear. See this thread: http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=6613&hl=

Although I didn't put it in there, I did occasionally have problems stalling, though not as pronounced as you seem to have. I'd do the sharp left hand turn test and let us know the results.

OMG - The problem ended up being EXACTLY this! I took my car back in afterwards to check out what the hell was going on, and the dealership decided to replace my whole motor.... well... when they dropped the oil pan, guess what was laying in the bottom of the motor? Those pieces that broke off same as you had A_Gut.

So well, I get a whole new motor out of this problem. Warranty Replacement. Gotta love Hyundai 100k warranty!
Old 05-31-2005, 07:50 PM

that's insane man. Glad you got a new motor and clutch working smile.gif
Old 05-31-2005, 07:52 PM

Now if I could just get my car back; its still at the dealership tonight. AJ working hard on it. I saw it today.. after two weeks of not seeing it... Gave her a hug. I miss my car.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:06 PM

They had mine for two weeks also, definately a long time to be without my tib. Not only that, I had to drive my piece of sh** 3 cylinder geo metro for that long. Good to hear it worked out for you. Did they replace your head too? Or just the shortblock? They only gave me a shortblock =/.

Well, I guess the tech was right when he told me this problem isn't too rare with our cars.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:56 PM

They replaced everything.
New Block, New Head, New timing belt.. but they used my old valves, old IM, old Valve Cover. That's what delayed it a bit was because AJ said he was used to them sending a long block, but they sent pieces so the machine shop had to swap some parts over and build the engine. He's taking good care of me.

Right now, I'm renting a 2005 Dodge Dakota SLT V8... so I'm not really suffering with the rental. Its nice that I live in a "classy" area, so they only have nice vechicles for rent. The Dakota was a 3 dollar/day upgrade from the 2005 Cavalir.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:13 AM

a_gut
When you had this problem, was it after installing a stronger aftermarket clutch, or did this problem just happen to you after xxxxxx miles and still on the OEM stock clutch. Did it happen AFTER a clutch replacement, or anything involving removal/re-install of the transmission?

Spiffy-
Glad to know Hyundai and AJ are hooking you up and getting you back on the road. Only a few more days and you'll have a new engine to break in! smile.gif