Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Major Problem.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

ok so a few days ago my car started making a clunking noise while making left turns. i thouught it was the cv axle on the drivers side so i replaced it. but it is still doin the same thing. i am at a loss it only does this when makeing a left turn with my foot offf the clutch. if i push in the clutch it doesnt do it.. i dont know what to think now. i need any an all suggestions please.

wow no one s gonna even try to help me...hmm
Old 04-12-2008, 02:42 PM

did you only check the driver side? if your making a left turn depending on what it is (cv, wheel bearing,...) it would probably be on the passenger side. i would think that for it to be on the driver side you would hear it when making a right turn. take a look at your cv boots. if one is torn then that could be your problem. with dirt and water getting in and grease coming out that cv wont last long.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:36 PM

well i took a vid an since everyone either had no clue wat i was tlkin about mabe ths ll help as i am still unsure.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:43 PM

Try doing that same test and wedge a block under the right wheel and see if the noise either a) goes away or b) happens constantly or c) no change.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:02 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

warped rotor? Rubbing somewhere? It dosn't sound like a click as much as it does sound like rubbing of some kind. Does it effect drivability?
Old 04-17-2008, 09:27 PM

it shakes the whole car and yes dtn there is a cunk u can hear ab see whn the tire visibly slows down withut me hitting the brakes.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:27 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

didnt check out the vid, but try checking out the tie rod ends and making sure they are nice and tight.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:29 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Sounds like warped rotors. Your rotor is probly maxing out your caliper's throw and causing it to clunk against the stop. This would also slow down the car.

Whatever it is, it is for sure part of the rotating mass and not a stationary object like a tie rod end. You can tell because it happens only when the wheel is rotating.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:42 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

If it's a warped rotor you should definitely feel it if you try to turn the wheel by hand - you would feel zones where it is harder to spin the wheel. But if it is the rotor, it should happen with every rotation; yours seems to turn fine until that clunk happens.

I would try taking things off and see if it's still doing it - first the wheel, than the brake caliper.. Could it be a completely destroyed wheel bearing?
Old 04-18-2008, 03:16 PM

That's not a caliper, rotor, or tie rod. That really sounds more like a busted ass differential to me. Look at how that wheel was bucking, and the engine was cutting out as he turned the wheels. That's why I told him to try blocking one wheel to verify that's *not what the problem is.