Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Maintenance

Old 06-01-2005, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib

well, the tib has 116k and it's long overdue for some maintenance...
could someone give me some advice on the following things:

new fuel filter (how? where to buy?)
fuel pump (eclipse gsx one? what are the advantages? new or used?)
can I use royal purple motor oil (ive never ran synthetic before though, what if i get an engine flush? if not, why)?
automatic transmission fluid, again can i use royal purple max-atf? should i order a new gasket? is this complicated, it sounds like a lot of work..how much would a shop charge? i AM a DIY guy, but this is something i would not want to screw up.
engine/tranny flushes - do these really help? could they do damage? .. are they worth it? $ price range?
already running ngk plugs/wires and an intake w/k&n filter, is there anything else i should consider? i want my tibby to make it for the long haul, im gonna keep her till she blows (hopefully itll be a good few years at least, i do drive pretty hard but with good upkeep she should be okay)

thx
Old 06-01-2005, 06:21 PM

Stick with conventional oil as synthetic is thinner and will find leaks. If your not leaking oil now you might w/ synthretic oil.

Has your tranny ever been serviced? Again stick to conventional atf. If your tranny has never been serviced then don't do it. The fluid gums up and sticks to things and this is what sometimes keeps auto trannys working. The flush would wipe anything gummed up off and you may find you have a tranny prob or will soon develop one.

I got my fuel filter at the dealer $30. Maybe kspec would be cheaper. Use a 14mm and 19mm flare wrench on the bottom line, no open end wrenches, adjustable wrenches and no vise grips you will fvck your lines up!

Peeps say a used gsx fuel pump is the way to go but I don't know how beneficial it will be to you as you don't have alot of mods.

I never flushed anything but I don't like the sounds of them. I may consider a power steering flush I only have 45k.

I say mod away and if she blows build her back up again! Tranny goes go manual. Engine goes do internals for n/a or turbo! If you plan to go turbo do mods that will work with a turbo. Like stay away from headers as they will be replaced with a turbo manifold. If you stay n/a get the headers. I am working on some custom headers. Air ram, bbtb, cams, exhaust, pulleys, adjustable fpr. The list goes on but you get the point.

I hope my 2c is helpful. Good luck!

Peace!
Old 06-01-2005, 09:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ What he said. tongue.gif
Old 06-01-2005, 09:23 PM

DITTO. just check your actual oil. If it's really dark, like dirty, you might want to drain it, put some cheap oil (3qts) and run at idle for 2-3 minutes, then drain again and fill with the oil you want (that way the cheap oil takes all the dirt and the new oil begins really from fresh).

$30 bucks for a gasoline filter is really expensive! I think I got mine for $14 or so...
Old 06-01-2005, 09:33 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

so..no synthetic, no flushes, no fuel pump.
i thought flushing the engine and putting in some good synthetic oil would help..like i said i want the tibby to last.
what about servicing the tranny, should i use atf from the dealer? is there a type of stabalizer i can put in (i've read that lucas will kill hyundai's at's)? do i order a new gasket? is it difficult to do it/should i just get a shop to do it ($?)?
what about those fuel filters you see on ebay? are those oem? or some cheap pos
Old 06-02-2005, 03:21 PM

Unless you've serviced the tranny before I'd stay away from it like I said in my 1st post. Don't know about additives though.

Get high mileage conventional oil use a cheap oil and flush a couple of qts through like Z said. Synthetic will prolly leak even if you don't leak now it will find one like I said in the first post.

People say the oem fuel pump is good to like 175 hp and you prolly won't notice a gsx pump unless you are over 175 hp. If it's not broke don't fix it. I'd spend my money on other mods trying to get myself over the 175 hp mark so I would have to get the gsx pump.

Peace!