Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Lsd? Mtec Or Quaiffe?

Old 09-22-2005 | 12:59 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

mmm good thread !!!

anybody else wanna comment ??

i broke a stock driver side axle right at the splines, and now theres millions of bits of metal in the tranny, the tranny will probably die in about another 10 K miles, so i need to be ready for another tranny, but this time, i might drop the cash for high torque axles and LSD
Old 09-22-2005 | 03:03 PM

the quaiffe is the way to go... unless you do rally of are a spirited track racer and may actually lift a wheel.... cuz quaiffe is maintence free.....

clutch is better like mad said.... it will keep the power on the ground. but it is also a good idea to change fluid every 4k miles....

so what fits your preference? is what it boils to........
Old 09-24-2005 | 12:10 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

I e-mailed quaife directly and they said that they don't manufacture lsd's for our cars, but there was some company in cali that modified the quaife lsd to work. Here is his reply to my questions:

Thank you for your inquiry. We do not have a unit that is explicitly built
for your application. We do however, have a dealer that has been selling a
Quaife, possibly modified, for the Hyundai platform. You may want to contact
them directly for more information. They are Road Race Engineering, and they
can be reached at 562/777-1522. Please let us know if there is anything else
we can help you with.

Jason Alvarez
Quaife Aftermarket Manager

I personally will more than likely be purchasing a quaife from that company. I called them and the guy said they do all of the research and development themselves, you just tell them the make, model, and year of your car. I dunno if this means they can modify the quaife to fit any tranny or not. He said the total would be around $1000-$1100 shipped. I personally would not want to re-fill my trans every 4k miles with new (and probably expensive) fluid that you have to order over the internet. I also don't want to have to tear the trans apart to replace the clutches and possibly the springs every so often either. But is it true that if one of my tires comes off the ground that the quaife will not even act like an lsd? I thought the whole point of an lsd was to make sure that both of your wheels spin roughly the same amount, especially when there is a difference in traction (i.e. one tire on ice and the other on pavement). If that is the case then maybe I will have to change my decision to go with a kaaz or mtec. We shall see. Anyways, I thought that contact info would help so there you go guys. cool.gif
Old 09-24-2005 | 01:36 PM

Ummm....Quaife is a helical differential (gear-type).

For autoX, street or track setups, you want to choose a helical diff.

Clutch-types have a greater amount of pre-load, which forces the wheels to lock together to a certain degree when you have no power applied. This ends up making turning in a bit slow and sluggish...as well as quite unpredictable when the diff fights to keep the car going straight. Also, the amount of locking can increase suddenly when power is applied, which invokes understeer on power...which would be relatively hard for you to follow a smooth line if you continuously gas in and out in a wide corner. In other words...you'll be all over a road course if you were trying to take the fastest line into a corner.

Typically, clutch-types are best for drag racing and drifting, because the locking characteristics and adjustability makes it better going in a straight line...and it helps with kicking your car out into a slide.

Quaife is progressive, not as harsh, easy to control, and it helps quite a bit if you do autoX and/or road courses. It's just easier to go faster with the helical diffs.

Depends mostly on your setup. If you're going to do a lot of drag racing...clutch-type diffs are preferred. But that's only if you were doing a full-out drag car. If you plan on keeping your car a street car as well...you'd best get a helical diff.
Old 09-24-2005 | 10:29 PM

I have had my Quaife diff in my car for over a year now and it is great! It is totally seamless in power delivery. I can corner hella fast compared to stock and smokes both tires when launching. Quaife diffs have a lifetime warranty on them no matter what use they get thrown at them. Zero maintenance, no muss no fuss, go for the Quaife if you can get ahold of one!
Old 09-25-2005 | 02:40 AM

Vehicle: tiburon 1998

I don't know about you, but I got all the answers I was looking for!

Quaife it is!

Thanks guys for the great input!

PS, are the two types different during install? what does it involve?
sorry for the hijack...
Old 09-25-2005 | 08:58 AM

I beieve the quaffe is easier to install... only because there is no preloading to be done to get the clutch packs to line up and grab correctly. Also, being a helical gear diff, you do not have to guess if you set the clutch packs up correctly.

For instance.. Sport Compact Car has their 350Z project car.. they installed a clutch type.. and had to have the diff apart twice to reset the clutch packs to allow the car to corner.. the first time it was FAR too tight and the car just wanted to go straight..

imagine having to do that in a front wheel drive car? You would need to drop the entire transmission to take the LSD apart and reapply the clutch packs.

And do not get me wrong.. I love the quaffe diff.. I have one sitting in the BMW diff my Fiat is getting. I cannot wait to install it into the car and actually drive the damn thing someday!
Old 09-25-2005 | 10:20 AM

Vehicle: tiburon 1998

Thanks man, exactly what I wanted to hear. cool.gif