Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Larger MAFS?

Old 03-19-2002 | 05:25 PM

Default Larger MAFS?

Just wanted to know if it is possible to put a bigger MAFS into a Tiburon. Looking at the CAI
and all it makes me wonder how much power I could be getting if the MAFS was 3 inch
diameter inside.

Random or Red do you have any ideas on this? Never heard of it being done but is it possible?
Maybe the MAFS on the 2.7 Delta is larger to allow better flow to the bigger motor? Could it be
used on the I4 Beta?
Old 03-19-2002 | 06:35 PM

It can be done the only problem would be finding someone to recalibrate the MAF meter for the larger diameter. I had this done for my Stang when I went to larger mass air flow, but I'm not sure if the Hyundai meter can be recalibrated in the same way. Maybe I'll look into it, it would actually help out performance allot.
Old 03-20-2002 | 01:20 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The problem is getting a larger MAF that is properly calibrated for the Beta ECU. Someone tried a Tibby MAF on an accent and ran RICH all the time. So it's not quite that easy...

In theory, you might be able to go with a larger MAF and an S-AFC to lean things out.
Old 03-20-2002 | 04:43 AM

if we could get a maf sensor calibrated in a larger diameter, then the restriction would be gone, and you have more precise a/f ratios for the ecu than the dinosauric map sensor desiged DECADES ago.

smile.gif
Old 03-20-2002 | 05:34 PM

Thanks for the responses guys.

Sounds like there is way to much work involved and too much tedious voltage testing and stuff. If someone comes across a workable way or parts please let me know as I am interested.

Thanks again.
Old 03-21-2002 | 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

FordFasteR:
if we could get a maf sensor calibrated in a larger diameter, then the restriction would be gone, and you have more precise a/f ratios for the ecu than the dinosauric map sensor desiged DECADES ago.
The key word in that sentence was "IF". And that only applies to N/A Motors.

MAP's are much easier to tune for forced induction. Most MAF's do NOT like Pressure, and will fail if placed on the pressurized side of a forced Induction engine.

MAFs also cannot compensate for pressure, so they do not know the difference between 10 CFM air flow at 10 PSI and 10 CFM air flow at 0psi, and there is a LARGE fueling requirement difference between the two. For forced induction engines, MAP's are the way to go.