Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

knocking?

Old 01-25-2005 | 05:38 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Its nothing to get upset about. Replacing lifters is as easy as a 1.8l cam swap.

Okay, quick search on hydraulic lifters. Its not for our cars, but it should give you an idea.

http://www.buicks.net/shop/reference/noisy...ve_lifters.html
Old 01-25-2005 | 05:49 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

how much? $
I think it's been going on since I've had the car, I just noticed it a lot more in the cold weather. Also I thought it was my alternator belt before because it was sort of a squeak, got that replaced and the squeak went away and was just left with this annoying semi-loud clicky sound.
so it's not a big deal? if i don't fix it soon it isn't going to turn into something serious?
i guess i just didnt know much about cars till i got my tib, now im learning...i was always under the impression that any abnormal noise the engine makes (rod, lifter, a knock) was a big deal.
Old 01-25-2005 | 05:55 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well, first off, I am not 100% that is the noise your hearing. It is one that I assume is close to the sound your describing. In that article, it explains it can be a piece of dirt keeping the check ball from seating. If you try the tube method (or long screw driver up against your ear and against different parts of the valve cover) and can narrow it down to one, you could go to a junkyard and take one out of another beta.

Like I said, I am not 100% sure what your hearing. It could be nothing at all.
Old 01-26-2005 | 12:41 PM

Vehicle: FX Coupe

yeah sounds like the hydrolic lifters, does it sound like a fast ticking similar to one you would hear from a Hilux ute or an old ute..?

search the old HA forum Random had posted about these and had a sort of replacement guide...

search: Ticking or lifters
Old 01-26-2005 | 12:56 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

Lifters are a PITA! Every car I've driven has had that same notorious "lifter ticking" sound. Do the ticks increase in repidivitity (<---haha wow I thought I'd leave that there for laughs...lol)

Okay, sorry: do the ticks increase in repitition when you step on the throttle. It's hard to tell sometimes because the engine roar can drown out the tick noise, but step on it and let it idle down and listen for the ticks to slow down with the RPM's slowing down and as the engine gets quieter as it reaches idle, the tick should get louder. If this is true, most likely it is lifter noise. I say this because your car has 110,000 miles on it. Someone told me this is like a 50 year old tib in relation to humans. Now is when you car is staring to get altzeihmers (<spelling today is horrible? lol) and can't run like she used to.
Lifters are not incredibly hard to replace but just annoying because it happens to every car I drive. I currently have not replaced the lifters in my tib but I am in the same situation as you as far as miles on the tib and the same ticking noise. It is not THAT serious, but if you cannot put up with the ticks than replace the lifters (find out which one is bad first). Sometimes replacing does not solve the tick<---read that link somebody put up.
Old 01-26-2005 | 05:22 PM

yes.. the lifters are controlled by the cams.. and cams move at 1/4th engine speed.. so the faster the cams turn, the faster the clicking from the lifters.

And no offense.. if every car you have owned has come down with lifter problems.. you might want to look at your maintance scheadule. My tib has 104,000 miles and the engine makes no extra noises what-so-ever.. and I dropped the 1.8 cam into it at 85,000 miles and did not change the lifters as some suggest.
Old 01-26-2005 | 05:44 PM

QUOTE (Mad-Machine)
...And no offense.. if every car you have owned has come down with lifter problems.. you might want to look at your maintance scheadule. My tib has 104,000 miles and the engine makes no extra noises what-so-ever.. and I dropped the 1.8 cam into it at 85,000 miles and did not change the lifters as some suggest.

Hey Mad, I think it has to do also with luck. I've had 3 Hyundais so far (my Elantra, my wife's Elantra and my current Tib) and the only that has given me problems is the Tib. I sold my old Elantra with 65k miles on it and it never did a tick (and I really did enjoy that car, I took good care of it but I revved it constantly and it was perfect). My wife's car has 45k miles on it and has no problem. My Tib, which I care the most, has only 35k miles on it AND IT FV**ING TICKS!
I've tried engine flush two oil changes ago and it remained (but only after I revved the engine over 4k rpm's) I flushed it again and put some pure synthetic oil on it and the ticking has gone for a while... I'm just waiting to see if it comes back, which I hope doesn't happen...

Oh... and by the way... knocking is something completely different, knocking is the moise detonation causes... this noise from the HLA's is more like a "tick"... we should standardize that name for the sound since it happens so often laugh.gif: