Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

knock sensor placement (strut bar install)

Old 06-03-2002, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does not matter which direction you point it in. What matters is that it stays on the shock tower.
Old 06-03-2002, 04:35 AM

Are there any pictures of how it should be repositioned...like big pictures so there is no confusion?
Here is a link from speedstate.com regarding the position of the knock sensor helper (lol).
I would say, if there is any way you can mount it the same way it was then do that. In my opinion, if it didn't matter which position it was in, then they would all be different, or thrown on without regards to position. As you can see in the link they mounted it horizontally.
Old 06-03-2002, 04:47 AM

pare_john:
It does not matter which direction you point it in.
hmmmm, didn't RANDOM just say it's got to point EXACTLY the same direction? I can imagine if there is some kind of floating point device inside of the unit it wouldn't work on it's side 'cuase it needs to be upright in order to properly operate. However, I have an SR FSTB from KingSafe and i still had to move the sensor sideways contrary to what someone else had posted earlier about SR STB's. I haven't noticed any problems with the engine from a sideways mount. But i wasn't exactly looking for it either. What kind of problems might occur? Hp losses?

Rich.
Old 06-03-2002, 04:57 AM

Here are what the sensors do.

Knock sensor - LOcated in block - Detects Knock it engine and then compensated=s by adjusting the timing to correct knock.

Acceleration sensor(knock sensor helper) - Lets the ecu know that the car is experiencing heavy vibration due to road conditions, thus, not letting the ecu confuse road vibration with engine knock.

There fore it does not matter which direction you place it in. What matters is that it stays on the shock tower. This way it can measure road vibration.

Just make sure that you place it on the shock tower.

I hope that this clears everything up.

hmmmm, didn't RANDOM just say it's got to point EXACTLY the same direction? I can imagine if there is some kind of floating point device inside of the unit it wouldn't work on it's side 'cuase it needs to be upright in order to properly operate.
Random is right on this point. The sensor does have to stay up right. But is does not matter which direction it points.

And by the way, lets stop calling in the knock sensor. call it by the right name. Acceleration sensor.
Old 06-03-2002, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I was apparently wrong there p_j, thanks for clearing it up!
Old 06-03-2002, 05:26 AM

Rich:
pare_john:
It does not matter which direction you point it in.
hmmmm, didn't RANDOM just say it's got to point EXACTLY the same direction? I can imagine if there is some kind of floating point device inside of the unit it wouldn't work on it's side 'cuase it needs to be upright in order to properly operate. However, I have an SR FSTB from KingSafe and i still had to move the sensor sideways contrary to what someone else had posted earlier about SR STB's. I haven't noticed any problems with the engine from a sideways mount. But i wasn't exactly looking for it either. What kind of problems might occur? Hp losses?

Rich.
I was also able to get my knock sensor to fit with my SR FSTB. I will take pics tonight and post them tomorrow.

But...it doesn't look like original post by TwistedH are the SR FSTB....so it really doesn't matter if it fit for us or not.

personally...even though it my not be the best idea, I would take a dremmel to the thing and cut out a notch for the sensor to fit normally. I'm not a big fan of changing sensor positions...just seems more like bad FSTB design to me.
Old 06-03-2002, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

John Pare & everyone else.

I've done my testing on this, so I'm not talking out my ass, or stating theory here.

It is NOT an acceleration sensor, it is an INERTIA/acceleration sensor. it DOES matter which direction is it is pointed, and it DOES matter which direction it is orientated. (vertical or horizonal)

The inertia sensor is calibrated to work in the stock position, in the stock location. If you change the direction or orientation of the unit, you change the readings from it. it is designed to record "vertical" movment and forward back movment. If you mount it 90 degrees on it's side, it is recording LATERAL and forward back movement.

Try a little experiement. Remove the sensor and mount it vertically, horizontally, sizeways, or any other way you want. Then try a full throttle run down a bumpy road. Then return the sensor to it's proper orientaion, and then do the same full throttle run down the same strech of bumpy road. you will notice a HUGE difference in performance.

If you hook up your OBD-ii cable to record during both runs, you will notice that the timing is cut WAY BACK on the run with the sensor in an improper postion compared to the same run with the sensor in the stock position/orientation.

The reason is that the sensor does not record the road bumps, and the ECU assumes it is engine knock, and thus retards the timing.
Old 06-03-2002, 06:23 AM

here's some pics of my strut bar and shock sensor.

Very slight modification, but I didn't reposition anything.
http://www.deckernet.net/tibby/tibby_pics/...frontsensor.jpg
http://www.deckernet.net/tibby/tibby_pics/...strut_front.jpg
And this is way before any of my mods wink
Old 06-03-2002, 06:45 AM

Random: thank you.
Old 06-03-2002, 08:17 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Decker, I noticed in the second pic that your lower resonator is still on the car. Did you take it off now?