Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Kinda dumb question, radiator hose

Old 07-26-2001, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart GSR
Default Kinda dumb question, radiator hose

If I want to replace my radiator hose, is there anything special I need to do?

I know if I take the hose off a lot of water will come out. Where do i top the water up and does it need an additive, and will having air in the system cause any problems?

TIA

Z
Old 07-26-2001, 02:28 AM

I think you're talkin bout the large hose right TDC in the engine compartment. If you remove that yes you will have some leakage...not a big deal. In my Tibby the coolant reservoir is on the passenger side of the compartment and has a cap that says coolant on it. When you're finished replacing the hose check to see where your coolant level is at in your resevoir. If you need to add some then mix 50/50 water and coolant and add it to the resevoir. Then you want to run the car until you hear the thermostat open up and see where your coolant level is at now. If you need to add more then do so, if not then all you gotta do is clean up your mess and you should be all set. Random, did I miss anything?
Old 07-26-2001, 02:31 AM

Oh yeah...air in the system isn't a problem.
Old 07-26-2001, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Originally posted by XEROHOUR RACING:
Oh yeah...air in the system isn't a problem.

You want to get as much air outta that upper radiator hose as possible.

you also want to do this while the engine is 100% cold. That will keep the thermostat closed so no air get's past the thermostat.

You squeeze and "pump" the upper radiator hose to get all the air out of it. You should see the bubbles show up in the radiator main tank. When there are no more bubbles, you should be reasonably sure that the system is free of air.

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 07-27-2001, 01:49 AM

Random, I put on some braided hose and didn't worry about the air, ran the car for about 15 minutes and the air worked itself out with no problems really. I suppose your way is prolly safer though...
Old 07-27-2001, 03:00 AM

Braided hoses look real good if done correctly.The little "fake"end fittings they come w/ are junk,I bought the real things from a company called spectra,spent almost $300 but damn does it look good w/ all my other chromed/painted parts.