Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Killing Winter Blues With More Power!

Old 01-15-2008, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Hey there guys! As I write I watch my tib get older by the minute and probably by the end of the month she will be at 250 000kms. So far its running great! I have a heat wrapped aem intake, header exhaust combo along with NGK sparks. When I bought the car it had 215 kms on it and never winter driven. So now I'm running Royal Purple 10w30 year round and she gives without hesitation.

On that note I'd like to put the finish on my engine bay for another 50 000km with a big tuneup within a month or so.I scraped out of my drive way and bent my rad from the bottom, so big desicion made, Koyo to be purchased once I get a good price.

Next I am forced to replace my header because my current one from NOPI is rusted and leaking like no other. With help from Redz that was an easy desicion with SFR's System Upgrade. They make a bbtb so of course I'm going to need that aswell. At this point I should probably replace my gasket there too so I decided on the Outlaw Engineering kit.

Fluids are looked after with Royal Purple oils and additives.

Pulleys are a question! I was thinking the OBX would do fine but we are having issues with them? I did read your thread Redz and it was very help full. So I thought go for broke and get the timing belt kit from SFR again. Is this the most cost effective way of doing this given the age of my engine? I'm very willing to install the complete package so it won't go to waste. However besides my belts wearing it's not needed.
Official thoughts on buying the kit and pulleys and calling it a day/ or buy everything sepereatly based on what isn't functioning?

Lastly guys is there anything I have missed? Plugs and wires are brand new, crankcase cover and gasket I am getting the kit for while my cam and cam gear go in. I am running a oil catch can, but the back side of my tb is spotless as it is.

I honesly can't wait to rip this beast appart and get some more power out of her. I have done the suspension so she has lots of traction and new wheels to boot. I have saved up for this for a while so I am not worried about going a wee bit over board!

Thanx tons for any help, rd tib has already helped me more then I could ask for anyways!
Old 01-15-2008, 03:09 PM

If u swap all ur fluids an have new plugs n wires and are replacing everything thats worn, without diving into the motor itself id say that would be a good tune up for sure. and there no need to dive inside the motor if it isnt needed. I would replace all gaskets on anything u can get to while ur at it. And w swapping radiators you'll def be doing a coolant flush, so thats good too. Look through like jiffylube's website or something and see what all they do on their highest services, to make sure you are indeed doing everything you can while ur at that particular spot on the car.

I've never had any issues w my obx pulley's at all. I love them. I know that when u buy, you want to make sure whether u are getting the correct ones w or w out the splines (this was in a post redZman wrote one time too, possibly this is same one u are reffering to). Good luck w everything.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:28 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

If not OBX, get the ARK pulleys, i have them and love them. Noticeable change.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:07 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Turbulence

You could try picking up something like this.
Just throwin that out there.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:48 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Hey guys, thanx for the info. I have an insane amount of parts to go in and I can't wait to get started.

Kant- that was the first manual I have ever bought...first day I got my car.

Nobody can think of anything else that might get me a few more ponies will helping my day to day driving?

Thanx much, look for my tear down thread in a month lol