Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Jerky Auto Tranny

Old 07-23-2005, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib

Did you even read my post? eek5.gif

QUOTE (2kShark @ Jul 24 2005, 12:48 AM)
but why not get the most out of the stock auto tranny while I still have it?

QUOTE (zoned019 @ Jul 23 2005, 11:43 PM)
the more HP you put through your auto tranny, and the more you go WOT and redline it, the more f**'ed up the internals get, and the more chance that even a LevelTen AT will suck balls.
unless you rebuild it or something, but why waste the money?

LoL I'm still going with a TQ?=)

QUOTE (zoned019 @ Jul 23 2005, 11:43 PM)
2kshark, if I were you I wouldn't waste my time/money on headers/pulleys/any other bolt ons because with the automatic you're still going to be slow as hell man..either send 'er to LevelTen, or get a manual. With a LevelTen AT you might actually have a chance at smooth/quick shifting, resulting in a big performance boost more than any bolt on. Only after that, should you start with the other mods.
GOOD, but get the torque converter FIRST, otherwise you're still going to be slow and be doing nothing more than damaging the stock AT.

I don't see how pulleys would be a waste at all.. it really smoothes out acceleration on all of the a/t Tibs I know of.
Again, pulleys are made for horsepower increase, more HP through your stock AT that you're already having problems with = just stupid IMO, as I said before get the torque converter FIRST

A friendly mechanic is going to help me install the torque converter/cooler once headers and pulleys go in. I gave ProTorque a call and they gave me all the info I could ever want on their TQ. With I/H/P/TQ I doubt I'll be slow as hell mang. ^__^
no, WITHOUT THE TQ you'll be slow as hell.

QUOTE (javageek @ Aug 4 2004, 03:13 AM)
7. Keep signatures less than 10 lines.
Oh yeah, and BTW, your sig is too long. LOL.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:47 PM

Yes, I did. fing02.gif

Well for starters, I drove my friends Tibby once again today, and he has the same deficiencies. His Tib only has 12K miles on it. Compared to other autos, mine is no different. smile.gif

It's not worth all the money to rebuild a tranny on a four banger by simply taking it to LevelTen, muh man. BTW I'm not getting LevelTen's TQ; I'm getting ProTorque's.

More accurately, pulleys FREE up horsepower. Less rotational mass also = better shifting. Trust me, Zoned, I'd get the TQ first if I knew how to install it, but if I'm getting a $1000 job done for free by my buddy - it's worth waiting that extra month or two before the purchase and just buy some other mods here and there before then, don't you think?

Thanks for your opinions though, Zoned. Always good to have you around. But do a search on here on auto trannys. I believe there's a lot you haven't looked into. The problem I have is just a deficiency in the tranny that is in par with every other auto tranny..
Old 07-23-2005, 11:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ He owned an auto tranny and started half the topics about auto trannies. nana.gif

It's not worth all the money to rebuild a tranny on a four banger by simply taking it to LevelTen, muh man.

I see OP did a good job of beating that into your head for once. tongue.gif

Again, pulleys are made for horsepower increase, more HP through your stock AT that you're already having problems with = just stupid IMO, as I said before get the torque converter FIRST

Me agree... your just gonna screw up even worse what is already screwed up. You remind me of people who mod DSMs with 160k miles and then cry when it blows up.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:13 AM

Your tranny is already f* up and putting a TQ converter will F it up even more. Stop wasting your money on auto!
Old 07-24-2005, 12:36 AM

QUOTE (hamhead @ Jul 24 2005, 12:56 AM)
^^ He owned an auto tranny and started half the topics about auto trannies. nana.gif
I see OP did a good job of beating that into your head for once. tongue.gif
Me agree... your just gonna screw up even worse what is already screwed up. You remind me of people who mod DSMs with 160k miles and then cry when it blows up.

I was always going to get a torque converter. Not getting a PTS kit or anything else from LevelTen.

Oh God, Ham. Take it easy. It's not like I'm boosting my stock a/t! We're talking i/h/p here!

Trannys not f***ed. It's cheap, thus it acts that way. I'm serious about working with the auto tranny though, as I have proven. wink1.gif

Hope I don't come off as stubborn for trying to follow my own setup. Not trying to hold a grudge with any of ya either. I'll take my car to the track once I'm where I want to be at, and then we can draw some conclusions folks. smile.gif
Old 07-24-2005, 12:38 AM

Wish you lots of luck and don't regret wasting you money later on...
Old 07-24-2005, 01:00 AM

Thanks.

BTW guys, compared to the problems other RD owners have had, mine are quite minimal. But I'm sure you knew that already laughing.gif

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=5343&hl=

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=7290&hl=

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=1721&hl=

FYI, this was a thread by you, Zoned.
-- http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=864&hl=

Alright. You get the point.

But yeah, OP. You used to be just like me with your auto XD which is why I don't doubt you when you have something to say about the autotragic, or drag racing for that matter. Ham was right that you've beaten some things in my head. chairshot.gif

I'm a n00b tuner, especially in Hyundai tuning world but I'm slowly learning. Bash me all you want, I'm glad I learn a thing or two each day on this site. But I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to keep the auto but have it breathing and running much better. Who wouldn't?

Anyway, I talked to Em tonight (any of you know her?), she's got an auto Tib with i/h/e/p and apparently the add on of pulleys didn't really help the jerkiness of the tranny. If anyone's trying to get back ON topic that is. lmao.gif
Old 07-24-2005, 01:04 AM

I'm just talking from my own experience and would want you to save your money man, but if that's what you want to do, then be it.

Smooth shifts will be possible with manual tranny... you know you want it!

Btw, have you ever drive our tib with manual tranny? Do you even know how to drive stick?

I don't see myself ever driving car with auto tranny. You just have no control over the car and it feels like it drives you...
Old 07-24-2005, 01:22 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Okay now that you say you're getting the torque converter and not that kit" thing from levelten which actually had a chance of IMPROVING the AT...I think you're sort of retarded. lol. A torque converter is gonna kill that thing man..I thought you were getting the PTS kit from that guy on HP?

And yes I know, like I stated above Hyundai AT's blow....thus the reason I finally got a manual.
BTW once you learn how to drive stick you will love it..I sucked the first few days, but I love it so much I just go drive around to do it.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:23 AM

Only driven one Tib with a manual tranny. Not going to deny it -- LOVED IT.

I had partial ownership of my brothers '91 Eclipse GS-T and that too was a manual. So yes, I can drive one. But I'm certainly no pro at it.

I agree with you. MTX= simply more control over your car. But we all have our opinions.

OK Zoned. What's retarded? The guy on HP is getting his kit put back on his Tib. That's how much he loved it. Second, he was asking for an awful lot when I could get brand new parts. Money is always an issue. I'd get both if I could dude.

And uh, since when couldn't I drive a manual? My previous car was a manual